Flourish shrimp safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leek86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is flourish shrimp safe? I know shrimps can be delicate and sensitive to some fertilizers.

Just look at the ingredients. Its copper that kills skrimps, so if its in there, be careful, but I use flourish exel with no ill effect to my vampire, cherry, or amano shrimp :)

It really depends. If you're dosing according to the instructions and don't have really sensitive shrimp like CRS, you should be fine.

I think that copper in Flourish Comp. is both extremely scant (.0001% I think? .001%?) and most likely chelated, which would make them less toxic.

On a side note, Flourish Excel is slightly less shrimp safe. They are fine at 1x the recommended dose, but at higher doses (such as for algae control), it starts having effects on shrimp.

Be very careful when dosing any tank with Excel. Not only will it melt some plants (anacharis, vals, etc), but I've wiped out a bunch of RCS with it.

I now add my Excel (and Flourish Comprehensive) in my water change water to dilute it before adding it to the tank. I've never had a problem with killing off any plants or inverts since.

I use Flourish Organic Carbon and Flourish plant supplement as directed, never had a problem with my shrimp or my vals. My Giant vals and Giant red vals exploded with runners after I started using flourish. Not sure why James had a problem with his Vals? Even my anacharis is healthy. No runners though

Excel melting vals is pretty widely report. Oddly, so is excel working with vals. That says to me that there is something that we do not understand at work.

Can you reccomend a fertalizer that is 100% shrimp safe?

Flourish is shrimp safe.

The copper thing is overrated, honestly. It's an essential element, and it's totally fine in small quantities. Lots of people use flourish, csm+b, as well as lots of other ferts and any related issues are rarely if ever reported.

Back
Top Bottom