Flourish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
Does it stain? I've noticed since using it that some of the fake plants and my stones and rock are turning the color of flourish. That brown color.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dino

Lol they are diatoms! Nothing to worry about. It's a type of algae typically found in new tank set ups. It will eventually go away on its own. Nothing but an eye sore.

Mumma.of.two said:
Lol they are diatoms! Nothing to worry about. It's a type of algae typically found in new tank set ups. It will eventually go away on its own. Nothing but an eye sore.

Thanks! Your always laughing at me :(

Yes?
Have you googled diatoms? You can scrub them off if it really bugs you. :) you should see my goldfish tank at the moment. Completely brown from top to bottom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mumma.of.two said:
Yes?
Have you googled diatoms? You can scrub them off if it really bugs you. :) you should see my goldfish tank at the moment. Completely brown from top to bottom!

How did you I what I was gonna ask? Scary.

Mumma.of.two said:
Lucky guess or special powers! Mmwahahaha!

Does it go away? Is it gonna get worse? My nice green plants are brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Convict2161 said:
Haha special powers I bet!! ;)

Does it go away? Is it gonna get worse? My nice green plants are brown.

Yes it will go away. Could take weeks could take months but it should go away. It feeds off silicates in a new tank. When they are used up it'll starve and die. If you have silicates in your tap water it could be an on going problem. It could get worse. A lot worse :( As I said my GF tank is FULL of the stuff. Can barely see the fish through the glass! As I said nothing to worry about, it's just UGLY!

Oh No!!! This will drive me crazy!! Can I test tap water for this? Do they sell something to test? Will a regular cleaning tool work? Something like this?

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11005024

I have one with a bunch of different adapters. At least I can keep the glass clean but the plants I can't do anything about other then remove them and rinse them in tank water during a water change. Or I can just let it go.

Convict2161 said:
Oh No!!! This will drive me crazy!! Can I test tap water for this? Do they sell something to test? Will a regular cleaning tool work? Something like this?

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11005024

I have one with a bunch of different adapters. At least I can keep the glass clean but the plants I can't do anything about other then remove them and rinse them in tank water during a water change. Or I can just let it go.

I don't think so. Don't worry! I'm sure they will go away. I think it's ground water you have to 'worry' about but I'm not sure.

Keep cleaning it off your glass so you can see your fish. Just ignore the rest. :) that's what I do. It's not going to harm anything. You can just wipe it off the leaves with your fingers if it bothers you.

Mumma.of.two said:
I don't think so. Don't worry! I'm sure they will go away. I think it's ground water you have to 'worry' about but I'm not sure.

Keep cleaning it off your glass so you can see your fish. Just ignore the rest. :) that's what I do. It's not going to harm anything. You can just wipe it off the leaves with your fingers if it bothers you.

MUMMA! We are talking about me here ya know... :)

Convict2161 said:
MUMMA! We are talking about me here ya know... :)

:) your going to drive yourself crazy! Look past it. Some of my tanks I got so use to seeing it that I only noticed it once it wasn't even there anymore. It's only a bit of brown muck. :p Think of it this way, your tank is growing and maturing. A good thing!

Mumma.of.two said:
:) your going to drive yourself crazy! Look past it. Some of my tanks I got so use to seeing it that I only noticed it once it wasn't even there anymore. It's only a bit of brown muck. :p Think of it this way, your tank is growing and maturing. A good thing!

Hmmmm.... A good thing, I'll try! :)

Diatoms feed on silica in "new" sand, I believe. I have never seen them persist longer than 4 or 5 months with good maintenance. Only bad things happen quickly in this hobby for the most part.

HN1 said:
Diatoms feed on silica in "new" sand, I believe. I have never seen them persist longer than 4 or 5 months with good maintenance. Only bad things happen quickly in this hobby for the most part.

Yea I can see that, seems to have happened literally overnight!! I guess I'll just stay on top of it the best I can. From what I read not much I can do.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes?

my gold fish tank is the exact same right now!

I googled it Mumma it says I can use something to clean the tap water before putting it into the tank and I can call my local water department to test for silica. Do you think it's even worth it? I thought silica was found in some sand?

This is gonna drive my OCD into overdrive. I wanna go clean the tank now lol.

rreekers said:
my gold fish tank is the exact same right now!

How are you handling it? I honestly thought it was the flourish because of the color. I feel silly now. It's all over the rocks,Cichlid stones, live plants and fake plants. Even my fake bamboo :(

I scrape it off the glass, do water changes, use my fingers to rub it off plants and ornaments :/ its just a waiting game. .. on the upside it will go away naturally!
my fry tank took about a month, I'm going on 2 months with my gold fish tank.

this is a case where you can clean your heart out if you want :) sad thing is it will come back, consider it bonding time with your fish!

Back
Top Bottom