Flourite and Flourish Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish-n-beer-guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone used either of these items? I am going to start my first planted tank in a 20g tall, so i am thinking of using the flourite. I am also thinking of putting live plants in an established 10g that is populated by my balloon mollys. hence the flourish tabs. Are they good products or should i get something else?

I use both of them in my 45gal tank and I can tell you they are amazing I have used all other products and I got the best results by far with these

They're both fine mid-level products. There are better root tabs and better substrates, but they'll of course cost more.

I have fluorite in my tank. Works fine for me.

aqua_chem said:
They're both fine mid-level products. There are better root tabs and better substrates, but they'll of course cost more.

I have fluorite in my tank. Works fine for me.

In your opinion what are the best root tabs? I just want the best

ADA aquasoil is better than fluorite or EC, but costs more and must be shipped to you (usually). MTS bottoms are actually cheaper but more worm intensive.

As far as root tabs are concerned, Rootmedic tabs are supposed to be the best from what Ive heard.

I'm not really a fan of RM since it is pretty much just osmocote stuffed in pill casings, or at least it used to be, I haven't really checked recently. I know there are claims that it's not the same stuff, but they are eerily similar in form and function. That combined with the overpriced trendy stuff that are on that and other similar sites, the whole thing just turns me off of it. I'm not into buying some magical shrimp powders though.

Either way, a good comprehensive root tab is all you need, just get something that has macros and micros in it and you'll be set. I've used a few different name brand ones and had basically the same results.

If you get the DIY urge you can save quite a bit of money by putting them together yourself, $20 in materials will make you enough root tabs to last until the mayan calendar runs out.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
I'm not really a fan of RM since it is pretty much just osmocote stuffed in pill casings, or at least it used to be, I haven't really checked recently. I know there are claims that it's not the same stuff, but they are eerily similar in form and function. That combined with the overpriced trendy stuff that are on that and other similar sites, the whole thing just turns me off of it. I'm not into buying some magical shrimp powders though.

Either way, a good comprehensive root tab is all you need, just get something that has macros and micros in it and you'll be set. I've used a few different name brand ones and had basically the same results.

If you get the DIY urge you can save quite a bit of money by putting them together yourself, $20 in materials will make you enough root tabs to last until the mayan calendar runs out.

Could you come off some more info on FYI root tabs?

There are a few variations in the recipes I've used but this is a basic one.

1/2 cup plantex csm+b
3/4 cup red clay powder
2 tablespoons potassium sulfate (K2SO4)
2 tablespoons epsom salt (mgso4+7h2o)
2 teaspoons potassium nitrate (kno3)

Add just enough water to mix into a pliable doughy consistency, roll out flat and then cut shapes, let sun bake on a hot day or air dry for a few days.

jetajockey said:
There are a few variations in the recipes I've used but this is a basic one.

1/2 cup plantex csm+b
3/4 cup red clay powder
2 tablespoons potassium sulfate (K2SO4)
2 tablespoons epsom salt (mgso4+7h2o)
2 teaspoons potassium nitrate (kno3)

Add just enough water to mix into a pliable doughy consistency, roll out flat and then cut shapes, let sun bake on a hot day or air dry for a few days.

Is there somewhere I can pick up all the ingredients at the same time?

You can get all of the ferts from a supply place online, green leaf, bobstropicalplants, and a few others I know have them available.

I'm not sure if they have red clay available, it's not likely, but you can call around to local pottery supply places and see what they have. You don't want to use polymer clay, it needs to be the real thing.

I order mine in bulk from an online pottery supply company, the shipping makes it kind of expensive but I get a lot at once usually.

I'm using both right now, Fluorite is a pain to clean and even after several washings the tank will be full of fine sand like particles, it's just really dirty stuff. Wash, wash wash, wash some more and then place in tank and vacuum and eventually it will be clean.

But I love the flourish root tabs, I was having issues with my chain swords dying, added in some tabs and had new growth within two days. New swords sprouted out of the middle of dying plants and offshoots are going everywhere.

I agree with the cleaning I actually did 24 washs before it was clean but its worth it in the end

Back
Top Bottom