Flourite + Play Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Howdy all,

I've had a planted 20L up and running for about a year now. Since it was put up, it's been running with Flourite with Play Sand over the top. I've had good plant growth and everything's healthy. Now that we're about to move and I will be taking this tank down to do so, I am wondering if I should do something different. The biggest problem I have with my current setup is that "mulm" looks rather yucky on top of the play sand alone. New substrate is out of the question right now, but I suppose I have a couple options:

1) Keep it as is - Flourite base with Play Sand top
2) Remove the Play Sand - Flourite is the only substrate
3) Mix them together - Flourite and Play Sand mix

What would you guys recommend?

I would mix it to break up the mulm and add some character to the bottom. That being said, if it isn't broken .........

fish_4_all said:
That being said, if it isn't broken .........

That's been the reason I haven't thought seriously about doing anything over the past year. However, now we're moving so I'll have to drain and remove stuff in the process. Now will probably be my best opportunity for any change needed.

I actually like the idea of mixing. In the few re-plantings I have done, I have already seen a slight mix and it doesn't look half bad. I just didn't know if flourite had to have a "top" on it or not. Also, the play sand seems "heavy" and doesn't seem to allow new growth or root spreading as easy as it should. If I do mix the two, do you think this would ease the situation any?

If you like the look, I'd go ahead and mix the two. This may make it easier for roots to spread, and there is definately no reason to keep the Flourite capped if you don't want to. I've currently got a mix of Flourite, Onyx Sand, and gravel in one of my tanks and I really like the effect.

I'd recommend PFS. I can't imagine that would be cost prohibitive. I got a 50lb bag from a pool place for $12. It would be heavier so you could gravel filter much closer to the substrate which should make it look better IMO.

I don't like playsand because it compacts too much and doesn't 'breathe'. My plants stems all rotted in playsand, even with a fair number of MTS in there to stir it up (and believe me, they tried).
pool filter sand is a better choice because of the grain size being larger, allowing current to flow through it.

you can try to mix different substrates, but they'll always have a tendancy to resettle into layers.

if you cut your fluorite by more than a 50/50 ratio, you lose its benefits cuz they get 'diluted' from your other substrate.

my personal preference is 100% flourite, or 100% eco-complete.

I think I'll try to get some PFS again. At the time of setting up the tank, there was only one pool shop in the vicinity... and there were on backorder for PFS for 2 weeks. I didn't feel like waiting that long and thought play sand would be alright.

Or maybe I will see what the 98% flourite will look like (I say 98% 'cause I'm sure I won't be able to get ALL of the play sand out. Heh). Either way I think I'm decided on a mix with PFS (if I go with 2 sub's).

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom