Flourite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Blue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Did I just get a bad bag of flourite or are they normally that dirty? I have been rinsing half a bag for the past hour and still after I put it in my aquarium it is still cloudy. GRRRRRR.

Fourite is just that dirty. Give it a day or two and it should settle nicely. Might cause some minor clouding when planting, but it usually settles much faster than when you first add it to the tank.

aye, its just that dusty. over time it'll settle deep into the substrate, so even replanting won't cause that much clouding. but brand new, yeah it can be muddy.

I have Seachem Florite in my tank, and there is no getting away from the dirt .. you cannot wash it totally clean..

Even though the tank looks all muddy when you put it in, it clears up within a few hours, and the plants really seem to like it. All my plants are growing good strong roots in the stuff, and it looks nice in the tank as well (I have the natural). :) I have not had much problem with planting and maintenance, so long as you do things carefully.

Mine took 2 full days to completely settle when I first added it to my tank, but now the dust settles within 30 minutes of moving rocks or planting.

My LFS sells Flourite for about $25 for 15 lbs. You can find it cheaper on the web but you'll usually pay a shipping premium. It is definitely worth it though. I use Flourite in 3 tanks with great results. I plan to experiment with Eco-Complete on my next tank though because everyone gives it rave reviews.

your tank will clear in a matter of hours if you add the flourite dry then very very slowly add water after that. we cant get eco-complete around here so i mix 50/50 flourite and red sea florabase; i get better plant growth with both rather than just one.

I think I read somewhere that washing the seachem brand substrates completely of their "dirt" removes a lot of the extra stuff for which you bought it. I think giving it a rinse, dropping it in the tank, and letting it sit for a week or so would be better than spending hours washing all the "dirt" off of it.

Not sure where that little bit of info came from. But if you think about it, it kind of makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom