flow rate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There isn't really a specified flow rate. You would be ok with the ones labeled as filters for up to 55 gallons but I like to over filter mine a lot. If it were me I would put an Aquaclear 110 on it.
The only issue with that much flow in a planted tank is that some plants could get uprooted from the flow.
But if you are going to do co2, then you should try to minimize surface agitation.

the answer to that question is dependent on many factors. Is the tank lightly or heavily planted, CO2 injection or no, lighting level?
Some things to consider are that it is usually recommended to have little surface agitation if injecting CO2 to prevent it from gassing off. However, if no CO2 is being injected a large group of plants may be able to deplete the available CO2. If this is the case, surface agitation with good flow would alleviate the situation, as the CO2 tries to reach equilibrium between the tank and the air above.
Basically, what you will get in reply are opinions.My opinion is that a high turnover isn't needed and is born out by my personal experience using minimal filtration or even air driven sponge filters on planted tanks.

BillD said:
the answer to that question is dependent on many factors. Is the tank lightly or heavily planted, CO2 injection or no, lighting level?
Some things to consider are that it is usually recommended to have little surface agitation if injecting CO2 to prevent it from gassing off. However, if no CO2 is being injected a large group of plants may be able to deplete the available CO2. If this is the case, surface agitation with good flow would alleviate the situation, as the CO2 tries to reach equilibrium between the tank and the air above.
Basically, what you will get in reply are opinions.My opinion is that a high turnover isn't needed and is born out by my personal experience using minimal filtration or even air driven sponge filters on planted tanks.

All true. In a co2 injected tanm, it's more important to have good flow throughout the tank so that co2 is delivered equally. Otherwise you might get stunting.

Back
Top Bottom