flowering Aponogeton crispus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I came back from vacation and pruned down the jungle that was my fishtank (can't leave the darned thing alone for a minute). I found this flower stalk coming from my Aponogeton crispus. This pic was from 2 days ago; last night the flower stalk was twice as long but I didn't have my camera. Will I be able to get seeds out of this??

My sword plant is sending up a flower stalk too.....

Here's the flower:
P1010648.JPG

Here's the stalk in the tank:
P1010649.JPG

Here's the plant:
P1010650.JPG

My Apons are flowering up a storm as well, at least in my 20L. I bought them as bulbs (CHEAP at PetCo) and they go WILD right after planting, often flowering within a few weeks!

I don't know if you will get seeds from it, but it sure is cool !! Whatever you are doing, keep it up, your plants are very happy!

Yes, you can get seeds from it. When the flower is open, transfer some pollen to the pistil using your finger or a small brush. The seeds will form if you were successful, and they can be allowed to sink to the bottom of the tank, or planted seperately to grow. It will take a long time to get to any size. It will make a bulb and die off evenyually, and then, reemrge. each time, the bulb will get bigger. The bulb is consumed when the plant grows, and a new one is produces, for the next emergence.

Back
Top Bottom