Flowing water currents...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glomgold

Aquarium Advice Regular
How beneficial is it to have an ever changing flow of water in your tank? I saw THIS product on Big Als and was wondering if it's worth the money to pick one up. I guess what I'm asking is, would the fish be happier with it?

Glomgold said:
I guess what I'm asking is, would the fish be happier with it?
Fish wouldn't really be a consideration with something like this. Simple powerheads that meet required flow rates for marine aquaria (10x/hr minimum) would be just fine.

Something like this would be a decent investment if you had a coral tank and even then moreso for SPS's than anything else. If you've got the extra cash it is definately a plus alround but it's not something I would streach a budget on unless a reef system. There are less exspensive "power bar" set ups that allow for an on/off random flow generation that you could look into a well.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the reply. So SW tanks absolutely require a minimum flow rate? Could that be accomplished via a filters water return valve?

Glomgold said:
Thanks for the reply. So SW tanks absolutely require a minimum flow rate?
Flow within the tank is quite important for gas exchange, pH and detritus accumulation to name just a few. At the minimum, shoot for about 10x the volume of the tank. So if say a 75 gal, you'll need 750 GPH from your combined water moving apparatus not including the skimmer (if you get one).

Could that be accomplished via a filters water return valve?
Depends on the filter and or return being used. It is more tham possible to accomplish this via return pump from a sump or closed loop system. Just be sure to properly calculate head loss.

If talking in terms of HOB or canister filters, they shouldn't be relied on depending on tank size. Once/if media is used, detritus and food accumulation will impede water flow not to mention the media itself. They can be used to "augment" the flow but I would definately not rely on them for all the flow.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom