Flukes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 6 Africans, a convict, a jack Dempsey, and a crayfish. A few days ago I realized they are itching along the sand and ornaments. I don't think it's ich though because they are also shaking their heads. I think it is gill and body flukes. What should I do to treat? If I add salt, what kind, and how much. Will it even help. Thanks.

My Africans have the flukes and they are doing a lot of itching and head shaking. Will rid ich plus work to cure them if I also use table salt? Thanks.

Salt for cichlids

If I add table salt will it help my cichlids fight off diseases?

As in periodically with every water change or every day? What kind of cichlids?

Not regular table salt, definitely not, it contains iodide which can be toxic to fish. If you're looking to fight disease usually it won't break out if you buy healthy fish and keep them in an established, healthy tank. The only disease I would ever use salt (aquarium salt) is with ich.

Ok they are African cichlids. I think they have gill and body flukes. Do you think that rid ich will cure them?

liljosh609 said:
Ok they are African cichlids. I think they have gill and body flukes. Do you think that rid ich will cure them?

Oh well in that case, I would add some aquarium salt, but not a lot, just a bit. When my fish had ich I only added a teaspoon.

Rid ich? Is it some sort of medicine? From what I've heard API and Jungle Meds make good cures for diseases.

Yes. It has malachite green and it is supposed to kill most protozoan.

liljosh609 said:
Yes. It has malachite green and it is supposed to kill most protozoan.

I used malachite green/blue or some other color as a med when I had ich, and it eventually went away after dosing a small capful every other day of dosing. I lost a few fish in the process but overall it worked for me.

Ok. Thanks for letting me know. It will prob. Work for flukes also.

Be sure not to use common table salt,contains iodine&is toxic to your fish..there is aqaurium salt which can be used&can be purchased at your lfs's..its not the salt used for salt water setups its freshwater aqarium salt.

ForumRunner_20111023_175622.jpg

ForumRunner_20111023_175647.jpg

Ok thanks. That's what I thought. Will it help fight agianst the flukes.

From what I read is that the salt will have little or no effect..suggested treatment being dosing entire tank with potasium permanganate to make sure that all flukes are dealt with,ill try & find dosing requirements.

So what's best to fight flukes? They are African cichlids a jack dempsey a convict and a crayfish. I know I shouldn't have mixed the cichlids but I didn't know the at the time.

10mg per litre of water,will temp discolor water but should destroy the flukes...potassium permanganate

Look at my previous post,also you should do your best to separate your fish,could get really bad in the end.

Back
Top Bottom