Fluval 205

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just reduced my the flow on my 205 until my new angel fish grows large enough to feel more comfortable with a heavier flow however, now that I have reduced the flow the motor sounds as though it is 'grating' on something like the split second you switch it on after priming.

I'm guessing that the back pressure caused by flow reduction is putting extra resistance against the motor. Is this cause for concern?

It's not a loud grate but a grate nonetheless.

My Fluval 206 manual says to not keep the flow lever at less than 50% for long term setting. Is it possible you are below that? It's possible that could be causing it. OS.

My Fluval 206 manual says to not keep the flow lever at less than 50% for long term setting. Is it possible you are below that? It's possible that could be causing it. OS.

I see, the filter is second hand so I don't have a manual. Why would you have a lower setting if it wasn't to be used? Silly really. I don't know what to do know as the angel is tons more active and I'm at about a quarter flow.

I'll raise it gradually to 50% flow and see how he reacts. Thanks OS

The main feature of the lever is so you can shut off the flow in the hoses back to the filter when you remove them from the filter for cleaning. The bonus is you can slow the flow down some but 50% is what they recommend as the limit. Try easing it up and see where the noise stops. It may still be between your quarter flow and 50%. Do you know how old the filter is? Might be time to order a new impeller piece. I have overloaded my 206 unintentionally with too much filter floss and it slowed the flow way down. Might be a trick you could try. OS.

Hi OS.

Just noticed that the filter has been leaking for a few days. Looks like the o ring needs replacing so the filter is in the bath. I don't know how old the filter is it came with the tank I bought so can't grumble too much. I reckon it needs a new impeller, o ring and hoses. I may replace all these tomorrow depending how much it costs.

The noise did cease at about 33% flow so I'll take it from there.

you can slow down the current by having the outflow pointing at one the side of of the aquarium. Position the outflow on the back glass about 3-4 inches from the side of the tank and point the exhaust at the nearer side. This will significantly diffuse the current.

Is the oring lubricated? if not, that may buy you some extra time with the gasket.

you can slow down the current by having the outflow pointing at one the side of of the aquarium. Position the outflow on the back glass about 3-4 inches from the side of the tank and point the exhaust at the nearer side. This will significantly diffuse the current.

Is the oring lubricated? if not, that may buy you some extra time with the gasket.

Thanks troyd

Bought a new impeller and o ring but still yet to lubricate it as I haven't purchased the grease.

It's fine now. I'm running the filter at 50% and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom