fluval 206 Gasket ring (oring)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
i see some people say to put vaseline on these but i also read that it can cause quicker deteriation.
someone else said put food grade silicon grease.
Dont know who tp listen to. ive just ordered a new one. as ive brought nee o-ring.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless the o-ring is made of latex, Vaseline will work.. but silicon grease would be best, imo

I run all Fluval's on my tanks from HOB's to canisters. 205, 306 and 406 canisters and have only had an issue with the 205. It's the oldest and I do have spare orings for them all. I've never used anything on them (grease, lubes, etc) but when doing a filter cleaning it did leak a tiny bit. I took it apart, took the oring out and placed it back in with what was previously the corners, moved to the centers. Knock on wood, still going strong w/o any leaks.

That looks like it should be fine.

in an emergency. do you think wrapping some plumbers ptfe tape around the ring would stop a leak?

Simply put, I just absolutely don't think it would work. Pipe tape is meant for pipes. Yes, it does take up a "gap", but that's between 2 solid, non moving surfaces. It doesn't have any adhesive and is a royal PITA to wrap on threads as it is, it's gonna be even harder to try and wrap something that's flexible and that small. As well, if it was meant to go on in case of an emergency, they would've put it in the box with those instructions. Your best recourse, if it is leaking, is to put it in a plastic container that's slightly larger than the canister to catch what drips. I've never had an issue with mine but have always got spare parts for that "just in case" moment. And most importantly, I don't know what the tape is made of so what I I treat my tank with may cause it to breakdown and get stuck in the filter causing unnecessary damage nor would I be happy if it killed my fish.

fair enough.
i know it wouldnt hurt the fish because ive researched it before for another joint on a gravel cleaner.
but as you say, it breaks down it may cause damage to the filter.
i do think the way i would do it would stop the leak. but on the thought of a break down and it messing up my filter, its not worth it.
i have ordered a spare oring incase of an emergency with some food grade silicone grease. just got to get new gravel and a heater and then the cycling of my new tank will begin. :)

- Boil some water
- poor it in a bowl
- put your o-ring in it for a minute or so
- put it back on your fluval lid and close the canister..

Does the trick for me every time.
Best thing to do is to get a new one but the method above is a good way of prolonging it untill you have a new one

Hope this helps.

- Boil some water
- poor it in a bowl
- put your o-ring in it for a minute or so
- put it back on your fluval lid and close the canister..

Does the trick for me every time.
Best thing to do is to get a new one but the method above is a good way of prolonging it untill you have a new one

Hope this helps.

thankyou. this is a new one to me but when you think about it. its a good idea. i am going to try this. it work for reshaping suctions pads etc.
priceless information. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom