Fluval 304 in 20 Gal planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
I have a used Fluval 304 that is in great shape. I need pressurized CO2 for my tank that is a 20gal long but am not sure how to get it in there. I suppose I need to use a cannister filter.

DO you think a 304 would be way too much for a 20 gal?

How else could I get pressurized CO2 into the tank when I only use two HOB filters?

I used a marineland powerhead with a sponge over the intake&placed the hose from the co2 between the hose&intake...worked extremely well,just make sure the powerhead is aiming down..

Okay, so the co2 bubbles would come out and immediately get sucked into your filter, and get completely diffused in there?

I really don't know what I want to do about diffusion. I only have a 20 gal tank so I am tempted to possibly trade the fluval for other things that I need.

You don't think the power will be too much? I feel like it might be a vortex in there. A 300 series fluval is for tanks up to 80 gallons. I'm worried it might be overkill for the fish.

I would use the 304. Add an inline CO2 reactor that you can build from PVC for cheap, then build a spray bar for the return out of PVC.

By using the prefilter it tends to slow the powerhead somewhat..have one in my 20g tall planted tank along with to other hobs...I also have a 20g long that iv'e yet to set up..

Rex Grigg reactor, Cerges Reactor, or inline atomizer are probably your best bets.

You can but a ball valve on the output side of the canister to reduce the flow easily. It doesn't harm the pump in any way either.

Last edited:
Would you plumb the reactor into the tubing going into the canister filter, or into the tubing going into the tank? I would think that if you have it going into the canister then it might get diffused in there eliminating the need for a reactor but this is probably wrong right?

Do you think I should lose the two HOB filters since they increase surface agitation and will make it more difficult to maintain CO2 levels, or do you think this issue is over rated? I can just try to keep the tank full so that the surface isn't agitated too much by the HOB filters.

Plumb the reactor into the return hose, if you plumb it into the intake then you will be cleaning it every week. Some folks just stuff the CO2 output hose into the intake of a canister. While this is a good method of diffusion it causes extra wear on the impeller as CO2 is quite corrosive. Done right, a reactor can give you 100% diffusion, meaning no micro-bubbles floating around your tank and no wasted gas.

IMO, lose the HOBs. If nothing else but for a cleaner look. Yes, you need some surface agitation, but too much is wasting CO2.

Back
Top Bottom