Fluval 4 plus internal filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dude1982

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, would the Fluval 4 plus internal filter be ok to be used In a saltwater aquarium? I'm thinking of converting a freshwater tank to a saltie that's all. Thanks !

I wouldn't recommend it. Anything in your tank takes away space for fish. :)

Also not sure how the filter would hld up for sw. How big is your tank? did you wanna do fish only or have corals?

It's a 3 and a half foot juwel tank. I still haven't got around to getting a tape measure to work out how many gallon/litres it is lol. I was thinking of a FOWLR tank to start with !

I'd guess maybe 30-60 gallons depending on the measurements.

Yeah, I think the internal wouldn't be such a good idea. But hey, i could be wrong. I ran a 29g with a hob filter and a skimmer and my 55g i run with a canister filter and the skimmer and I do pretty well.

Thanks carey I saw your tanks in one of your threads and they are beuties. I've had a lot of freshwater tanks but this would be my first saltie. I'm not very worried about seeing the filter in the tank as it's black and I have a black background, it blends in really well and it's quite hard to see it !

I'm sure someone else will chime in. I've never used the internal fluval b4, I did look into them when I had my hex and they are great filters, just not so sure if appropriate for sw. I would think they would clog up real easy and not provide much flow internally.

But thats just me! lol I'm still a newbie with sw :-D

Yeah I've been researching saltie tanks and really thinking of converting my fresh to one. I don't really want to be changing my equipment if I can get away with it for now.

Depending on the gallons you might be ok without a skimmer if you keep to a good reliable water change schedule. The most important part of your filtration would be your live rock. Were you going to do LR with fish?

Back
Top Bottom