Fluval 405 wont start up...could use some help ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sooo....I gave the canister a thorough cleaning including the input and output hoses (which obviously meant they were empty when put back together).

Set it back up, attached the Aqua-stop valve, it filled and primed like normal...but there is no flow.

It sounds like it is working properly, there appears to be water in both hoses, it squirts water when I push the prime lever...but nada when it's plugged in. I checked to make sure all connections are tight and they are.

Any way to check the impeller? Is it as simple as opening it and seeing if it's spinning? Odd the impeller would happen to go out the same time I did a cleaning. I didn't mess with it or clean it this time at all.

Ideas? Thanks.

Hey Eco .... Remove the impeller cover and make sure the impeller itself is pushed down all the way into the motor housing. A few months back I had the same problem ... after maintenance I couldn't get water flowing ... checked the impeller and started up fine when I pushed it a bit more.

jcolon said:
Hey Eco .... Remove the impeller cover and make sure the impeller itself is pushed down all the way into the motor housing. A few months back I had the same problem ... after maintenance I couldn't get water flowing ... checked the impeller and started up fine when I pushed it a bit more.

Cool...be right back. Thanks bro.

I figured out the problem...I'm an idiot (I had a feeling that was gonna be the cause somehow).

On my tank I've got the input on the right, and the output on the left. In my infinite wisdom and desire to make things look tidy...I attached the hoses the same way, when in fact they needed to be crisscrossed. It wasn't until an hour after cursing at the thing that I saw the big "IN" and "OUT" words on the top of the filter. It threw me off since when I was priming it, the water was actually flowing out the correct end.

Oh well...thanks for responding so quickly...I was hoping you'd spot the thread. Thanks bro.

jcolon said:
That's a relief ... would suck if you'd have to replace a 405!

Especially when I just saw on at the lfs today for $239...and I got mine for $129, lol.

I was moments away from pulling the old HOB out of the basement cause the wife has to hit the bed (same room the tank is in).

At least if there's another thread like this we can say "read the bold print on the filter stupid!"

Back
Top Bottom