Fluval 405

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question I'm going from fresh water to salt water. I'm gonna set up a 10 gallon tank is a Fluval 405 to much. I'm gonna split the output end so there's 2 directions. I'm gonna use it as a replacement to the power head. And the filter it self. Thanks for the input.

A canister would not be your best option for a reef tank.

Keep it simple. Your live rock (1.5-2 pounds per gallon) will be about 80% of your filtration. Put a HOB on there and a small powerhead or two, then just do your minimum of weekly 10% water changes and you should be fine.

Live rock needs a light? I was thinking on still using my filter but taking the trays out and just using live rock. Would that work?

I answered my own question I don't need light I guess bacteria grows better in the dark

So will that be better then a sump? Since it's a self-contained unit? I'll pull the pads out and keep one tray of the bio things and fill the other two trays with live rock.

The reason I'm going over board is I have a 110 gallon oceanic. That's fresh water that I'm selling. So I have some stuff that's meet for a bigger tank. And I wanna use it or just go big like the filteration I just wanna know if it will work I know keep it simple but I have it so I might as well use it

canister will be ok. Just take everything out of it and put in a few bits of LR rubble in it. I know plenty of people that use canisters. Just have to keep with cleaning them.

Back
Top Bottom