Fluval 406 on 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dswiese

Aquarium Advice Regular
I setup my 55g with a single Aquaclear 70 (cash flow issue) knowing that I would soon need to add another HOB or canister.

I should be getting my Fluval 406 from Amazon on Tuesday.

Question is: is the 406 enough filtration on the 55g or do I need to keep the AC70 as well.

I will keep the AC running for a few weeks while the 406 gets a good bb setup.

Thanks guys!! Without the waterfall from the hob do I need to add an air stone for surface movement ?

I'm running a 406 in my 60g without any bubble makers. I just pointed the output up a bit to stir up the surface some and it has worked out fine. Really happy with my 406, super quiet.

Thanks guys!! Without the waterfall from the hob do I need to add an air stone for surface movement ?

Just wait till you have the 406 on, you won't be wondering if you need more surface movement! ;) That thing moves some serious water.

That's what I was hoping to hear ;)

not really a big fan of the bubbles and the quieter overall the better.

I would give the pads from the Aqua a good squeeze onto the new pads of the 406, also take a couple of noodles out of the Aqua and put them in the 406. This won't cycle it instantly but will give it a good head-start.....

So yes it moves some serious water !! Loving it so far

Any tips on directing water flow etc ?

I've been messing with it for a year and I think I'm going to build my own spray bar. It still seems as if there are some dead spots in the tank and I think a spray bar would eliminate those.

Thanks, I havent had a chance to check for deadspots yet.
I have the output just to the left of the center brace aimed towards the front left glass with the intake in the back right corner.
My only thought so far is to move the output back near the intake and re-aim it towards the left end panel.
Might give the output time to slow down before hitting the glass.
Right now it feels a bit too much movement from the output to the front glass.
Figure a longer run end to end might be the answer

Hopefully a quick question ::

If I move the output a bit lower in the water, do I need it to break the water and produce some bubbles or just make waves on the surface ?

Yes, you need surface agitation. Moving it under the water line and aiming it down won't provide any surface agitation.

Oh there is definitely surface agitation. the 55 isnt that deep front to back, so aimed at the front glass it def produces waves across the whole tank. its about 2-3 inches below the surface at the moment, was just wondering if it need to be a bit closer to the top to agitate some bubbles into the water?

Yeah I got my Fluval 405 running .I still have my (2) HOB. Also running. I like it because I can change add different set ups when it come to like media.

I guess I have mine setup a little different. My output is in the back right corner of the tank now, pumping water towards the front left corner. The intake is about two inches off the substrate in the back left corner.

Aiming it towards the front pane just creates too much turbulence, imo. My 75g is a little deeper front to back than a 55g, I can only imagine how much worse it is.

I think the 40x's provide plenty of room for media as is. I'm running sponges on bottom and side. Bio rings in next two and polyfill in the top.

That's my planned layout as soon as I move the AC70 currently on that back section. Will have the intake an output close but aim the output down the length of the tank

I think you'll have a pile of waste and uneaten food at the opposite end of the tank with intake and output next to each other.

That is why I'm going with a spray bar eventually. I have a couple dead spots that catch waste and don't get pushed to the opposite corner and into the intake. I'm thinking the spray bar could eliminate these spots and give a nice gentle current across the bottom.

That makes sense. May have to get some longer hoses. Can't fit the canister behind the tank it's off to the side at the moment. maybe not ideal but best fit.

spray bar sounds awesome but down the road for me. gotta space out the hobby purchase lol

From doing a bit of research it seems you can make a decent one for less than $15 in parts at home depot.

Back
Top Bottom