fluval chi & betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi:

Got a 5 gallon fluval chi with a little betta. He's small, I think a real young one comparing to the others I saw at the fish store.

He doesn't like the top light which is too bright for him. So I've been not using the light feature which is a shame since it's so beautiful.

Do bettas eventually get used to bright lights?

Thanks.

Yeah, in my experience they do. Just put it on for a little bit at a time each day. Perhaps you can gradually ramp up the amount of time the light is on.

Yes to the above, gradually build up the light photoperiod. Also we have Fluval Edge 6g's and if the filter on the Chi is as strong as the ones on these that can also be the problem. My daughter got a baby male Betta that was smaller than most females and she had to turn the filter way down and gradually build to the flow back up. He was a little scaredy cat the first week. Another thing is if you add plants, even if its just a water sprite in that center planter, that will also help him to feel more secure and also soften the light.

Yes to the above, gradually build up the light photoperiod. Also we have Fluval Edge 6g's and if the filter on the Chi is as strong as the ones on these that can also be the problem. My daughter got a baby male Betta that was smaller than most females and she had to turn the filter way down and gradually build to the flow back up. He was a little scaredy cat the first week. Another thing is if you add plants, even if its just a water sprite in that center planter, that will also help him to feel more secure and also soften the light.

Thanks for the great advice about building up the light time. I will do that.

Can you tell me how you turn the filter way down? I haven't figured that out and the flow is strong for him since he's so little. Right now, I turn the filter off at night so he can sleep and then turn it back on in the morning.

You're gonna want to keep the filter going. I'm not familiar with the Chi's filter, so I can't offer you any ways to slow down the current that it makes. However, I do know that bettas don't like strong currents. He will also do much better with a small heater if you don't have one.

I had this tank before I gave it away to a friend. You can get a tray to put on top of the filter and place rocks to slow down the flow. This will have the additional benefit of reducing the splashing sounds.

Also put a sponge over the filter intake. They make one for the Edge which I think should fit the Chi as well. Also on the Edge filter there is an adjustment knob to slow down and speed up the filter. Don't know if that feature is on the Chi tho. Plus a plant or two will also help make him fell secure. But as stated above you do need to keep the filter running all the time.

Back
Top Bottom