fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a six gallon fluval edge with a fire shrimp and a sifting goby for about a year now no problems at all I even upgraded the lights and have some green star polyps coral

Sincity said:
I have a six gallon fluval edge with a fire shrimp and a sifting goby for about a year now no problems at all I even upgraded the lights and have some green star polyps coral

Nice! That's good to know! Gsp's! That's another coral I want!

Sincity said:

What kind of light do you guys use on your nano/pico tanks?

Bearchumjs said:
What kind of light do you guys use on your nano/pico tanks?

I have t5s on them right now bc my led isn't working but if you can spend a few extra bucks def go led. They are by far better and my coral is def sad right now till I get my LEDs back up. Also helps with the electricity bill and temp control

Jmkb02 said:
I have t5s on them right now bc my led isn't working but if you can spend a few extra bucks def go led. They are by far better and my coral is def sad right now till I get my LEDs back up. Also helps with the electricity bill and temp control

What kind of led system do you have?

Yep, those bulbs use a standard socket so a desk lamp could work. here is a photo of how I had mine setup

img_1921859_0_85488218d43f5eb790f2cab276ac1bd5.jpg

carey said:
Yep, those bulbs use a standard socket so a desk lamp could work. here is a photo of how I had mine setup

Nice! That looks like the same size filter I am planning on using too.

carey said:

I have a DIY setup, but I would def go with those bulbs. They are great all the way around and have enough par to grow coral.

Just tore down the 5 gal! I moved my 2 fry to my 55 and was able to find 4 MTS. My fluval is now sitting on the kitchen counter full of water. I put 1 cup of bleach in and it sat for 20 mins. Then I added a capful of prime. After it sits for a while I'm going to empty it and rinse it a few times to make sure there is no chlorine left. Then I'll put some PFS in and hang my filter on it. Then wait until I have more money in my fish fund and buy some seawater and some rock.

So can someone tell me what I need to do before I can add a fish? I'm planning on using the box of ocean water, and buy a piece of liverock from my LFS. So will I have to let my tank cycle? Do I have to add ammonia? I was under the impression that if I used liverock I wouldn't need to cycle it. So if it does have to cycle, why?

I would definitely cycle it. Even with your live rock its going to do nothing but help your tank. Are you planning on live sand or bare bottom?? What kind of coral are you planning on??

Jmkb02 said:
I would definitely cycle it. Even with your live rock its going to do nothing but help your tank. Are you planning on live sand or bare bottom?? What kind of coral are you planning on??

I have pool filter sand which I just put in. I will start off with gsp and zoas probably. I like frogspawn. Is that hard to take care of? I won't get corals right away. I need a light. I have a table lamp with a 60W clear reveal lightbulb. It's bright but I probably need brighter?

Water and rock first! And I'll probably get a little fish after its cycles before I get coral too.

Is tufa rock ok for a saltwater tank? I could just do a cycle using that since its less expensive than live rock. Or maybe get a small live rock and some tufa.

My filter is a tetra 10gal filter and I have a 200W tetra heater which I'm sure is overkill, but the only other choice I have is a 50W and it won't warm the water higher than 75 degrees.

Here's a picture of my tank with no water.

Hooray!!! I found someone on Craigslist that is willing to sell me 5 or 6 lbs of his liverock for around $10!! I'll get it later this week!!

Nice! Make sure you check it before you just throw it in. Good hunting!

Back
Top Bottom