Fluval Edge 6G Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought it today for 50 bucks, I will have some pictures up at some point this week. I have a couple of questions, to make this into a nano reef what do I need to do for lighting. I know the small lights on it aren't suitable, is there a conversion kit for them? Also, I haven't dug into the filter or anything yet, but what would I need to do for filtering, is the one on it suitable for a reef?

The filter is fine, it's an AC. You could fill it with media of your choice, or mod it into a fuge (here's one example)
If you're looking to keep the stock look with the lights contained in the hood, your options are limited:
-Nanotuners LED module (pricey)
-DIY LED
-Compact fluorescents
There are probably others, but these are the most common.

There's a ton of Edge builds over at Nano-reefs, good stuff.

What if I scrap the stock light housing over the tank and essentially just keep the filter there, would I have some more cost effective lighting options?

Are you referring to just the bar holding the bulbs? That's typically what people remove, and that's how to do the methods I listed.
2-3 CFLs would be the cheapest way.
If you're referring to removing the hood as well, the sky's the limit. Put whatever you want over the tank. But people typically don't like doing that.

Yeah, I may remove that bar. I like the look, but I am more concerned with getting good enough PAR to keep corals in it.

Removing the bar and doing a couple CFLs would be cheap, and sufficient for softies.

It will be more than sufficient. If you want to use that, make sure you get a sturdy fixture that is adjustable and has a removable shade. Also if you wanted to keep the hood, you'd probably have to remove the metal grate.

Thanks, this build is going to be slower than paint drying as my time, and most of my funds are going to the 220 gallon reef. Slow but steady, I will post some pictures and start the build. My wife is more excited about this little fluval than she is about the monster. :ROFLMAO:

What can I use to create flow in that small of a tank? I want to keep a brain coral, I guess I should first ask if they can be kept in the fluval edge, and what I would need to do to ensure if stayed healthy.

hb the koralia nanos im gettin a 425 Thursday for my ten everyone said it was the perfect amount of flow there's also a 250 model that does 250gph instead of 425

I am getting way into this build, I guess it gives me something to do until the 220 arrives next month.

It is definitely possible to keep a brain in a 6g. But you would definitely need some sort of a sump to manage that. Something as small as a 5g sump would allow you to house everything you need. I'd be much more inclined to put some Ricordea in a 6 gallon though...Don't even need a skimmer, they actually prefer "dirty" water.

Unfortunately I won't get it built the way I want for a little while, all my funds are tied up in the big reef, but I do have some plans. I am looking into lighting options now, a lot of people just stick an 18" T5 strip on top of the little canopy. I don't like the way it looks though, I am considering these PAR38 LED's, or maybe a halide pendant.

Thanks for the info, I don't plan on doing a sump, so no brain for me. What are some good coral options for the fluval that won't need a skimmer?

or even gsp or xeinas and i dont thinkk you'll need a skimmer my 10 dosnt have one. youll be fine without one as long as your filter moves enough water and mabye a small power head

Back
Top Bottom