Fluval Edge nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll check the GFO stuff out. I don't have any room in the hob filter as of now. I have the purigen, LR, and a heater in there now. Would it be worth taking some LR out and put GFO in? I have a phosphate test...before the water change I'll test the water. I here the test I have is kind of hard to use though. I'll see how it goes. My RO water tests 004 TDS (I bought it used so I haven't changed the filters yet, the guy said it would be good for a few months).

I found that adding live rock in such a small amount didnt really do much for my tanks. I would put some gfo in there though and see if you can get your nutrient level down so the algae starts to recede.

Does your water machine have a DI cartridge? Or just ro? If it haas a di you can change out that and get down to 0 tds.

I've tested the phosphates for the past 2 days before and after a water change and they test 0. I cut the feeding down to every other day, and tomorrow I'm going to take the one piece out and brush it down. If I rinse the LR off in SW after the brushing can I put it back in the tank without spreading the algae all over the place?

Another option is to scrub the algae while doing a water change. Scrub with a toothbrush while keeping the syphon hose close to suck out the debris.

Being that the opening to the tank is so small that might be a little difficult. I'll try taking it out real quick, scrubbing it down and then putting it back. Do I need to worry about the bubble algae, or can I just rinse the LR in tank water and put it back in.

Well I thought I did a good job of getting all the algae out, but apparently not. The red bubble algae is spreading all over the place now, sooooooo what can I do? All the red and hair algae is gone, now it's just a bubble party in the tank lol.

Can someone help me out here haha, what the ---- do I do. This is just getting out of control, it's all over the place lol

Attachments

• image-257037299.jpg
    image-257037299.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 113
A blackout seemed to work...I'm going to wait another half day and then vac everything out. Ill put the lights 25% for 3 hours a day and work my way up from there. Hopefully I can keep the algae under control this time around.

What you have is dinoflagellates; one of the worst things in SW aquaria. The only thing that worked for me was 0 light for 0 hours. Otherwise even if light was shortened it would grow even larger.

Wow that is what I had/have. I guess my reaction to pull the lights was a good idea. How long did you leave them off for? Mine have been off since Saturday afternoon and it seems to be a lot better. I was thinking of leaving them off for the rest of the day then trying to get a lot of it out during a water change when I get home. Should I leave them off longer? Where did this come from?

FishN00b83 said:
Wow that is what I had/have. I guess my reaction to pull the lights was a good idea. How long did you leave them off for? Mine have been off since Saturday afternoon and it seems to be a lot better. I was thinking of leaving them off for the rest of the day then trying to get a lot of it out during a water change when I get home. Should I leave them off longer? Where did this come from?

I left it off for a week. My coral suffered but since they were large they made it through. I found it comes from very low flow. Adding more powerheads helps.

Yeah blackouts won't do much good unless they last for days I also recomend a week but I would throw a blanket over the tank so absolutly no light gets in not to peek, feed nothing

I have a koralia nano in a fluval edge pointing directly to the other corner...i doubt flow is my problem. I'll leave the lights off till Friday and then syphon all the crap out I guess.

I have 2 snails. A hermit crab and a fire shrimp in the tank, should I be worried about them at all? I know the clown will be ok, but I know inverts are sensitive.

this is really starting to frustrate me. I have gone through 2 blackouts (7 days each) with a few days in between and the dinos come back almost instantly after a water change. what else can I do? the few corals I have in the tank look like theyre taking a hit now. im about to throw this tank out the window :banghead:

FishN00b83 said:
this is really starting to frustrate me. I have gone through 2 blackouts (7 days each) with a few days in between and the dinos come back almost instantly after a water change. what else can I do? the few corals I have in the tank look like theyre taking a hit now. im about to throw this tank out the window :banghead:

Forgot to say no water changes.

Hah ok, well I'm gonna have to see if my corals bounce back, then I'll do the blackout again I guess. This is so crazy...

FishN00b83 said:
Hah ok, well I'm gonna have to see if my corals bounce back, then I'll do the blackout again I guess. This is so crazy...

Literally ignore your tank. No feeding, lights, WCs, nothing. If you can cover the whole tank with a sheet and if you can add another PH.

Back
Top Bottom