Fluval Edge tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dclark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's my Fluval Edge tank, contains 4x panda corys and 3x guppies (2x female, 1x male). 3x live plants, no idea what they are but they were infested with snail eggs to my surprise but I quite like one or two snails within the tank although I think this is why my plants look quite wispy.

Attachments

• image-3296823868.jpg
    image-3296823868.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 186
Nice tank! How are your cories doing? Mine never really found the hole so I had to drop the water level a bit :/ frustrated the crap outta me. But then again I should have known..

TotallyCoral said:
Nice tank! How are your cories doing? Mine never really found the hole so I had to drop the water level a bit :/ frustrated the crap outta me. But then again I should have known..

Thanks. Corys are doing fine although I have had problems when I first got them. I bought 6, 3x per batch over a four week window but two died almost within days but thankfully the remaining four are happy skimming across the gravel. Very rarely do they swim at any height.

What do you mean they never really found the hole??

Sorry about that, I was referring to the hole in the top of the tank. Cories need to breath oxygen from the surface and dart up to the surface. However in an edge, that space is very limited and most the time they're hitting their heads on tye glass struggling to find the surface. Mine never caught on so I had to drop the water level.

Your partly right, when the oxygen level I. Your tank is low they dash to the surface, sometimes at such speed the come out of the water and hit the tankcover. But when the oxygen level is right there should be not a problem. Since Corys are no labyrinth type fish.

tukker said:
Your partly right, when the oxygen level I. Your tank is low they dash to the surface, sometimes at such speed the come out of the water and hit the tankcover. But when the oxygen level is right there should be not a problem. Since Corys are no labyrinth type fish.

I have to disagree a bit here. All Cories do dash up to the surface for air at some time, but if they do it quite regulary then it may be something to do with your oxygen levels.

Yes, cories are not a labyrinth fish. However they do have a labyrinth organ that allows them to take in/gulp/swallow oxygen from the surface and that supposedly aids with their digestion. Just because you never see it doesn't mean they aren't doing it. It only takes a quick second and then they're back on the bottom. But then again every fish is different.

Well I don't fill my tank to the top, there's maybe about 2cm gap from the top. Although saying that I've never saw the pandas swimming to the top for air which surprised me as in the fish shop they were up and down constantly.

Back
Top Bottom