fluval edge tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ztigris

Aquarium Advice Freak
My roommate just picked up a fluval edge tank. After looking closer at it have a question. How the heck do you clean the corners in the front?

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the front corners? My roommate has big man hands and can't reach the front.

You can use an algae magnet or a magnet sponge on a small handle. They are hard to work in but nice other than that.

Yup.. I use the smallest mag-float (magnetic algae scrubber) on my Fluval Edge. It serves two purposes, to clean algae and to push out the bubbles that get trapped under the top glass after a partial water change.

Thanks! I haven't seen them very small. I'll have to hunt one down for him!
Rivercats, I have another question on my hygro stems. They all have 4-6 emersed leavea.Should I wait to trim them to encourage bushy growth?
And one other if I may impose. Do you have any tips on feeding the rams? My little one is such a slow eater and doesn't compete with my other fish for food. I'm concerned he isn't getting enough but don't want to overfeed.

Thanks! I haven't seen them very small. I'll have to hunt one down for him!
Rivercats, I have another question on my hygro stems. They all have 4-6 emersed leavea.Should I wait to trim them to encourage bushy growth?
And one other if I may impose. Do you have any tips on feeding the rams? My little one is such a slow eater and doesn't compete with my other fish for food. I'm concerned he isn't getting enough but don't want to overfeed.

They actually make a Fluval Edge magnet on a string so you don't lose it in the tank. Its quite handy!

When I have plants in emmersed form I plant them and leave them alone until they have about 5" of immersed growth on them. Then I trim off the new growth, pull out the emmersed growth, and replant the tops. I just find this method works best for me. I'm doing that right now with some Proserpinaca palustris.

As for the ram do you feed in one place or at opposite ends of the tank at the same time? I find feeding at both ends helps everyone have a better chance of getting their fair share. It's hard when little ones are in a tank of food hogs. I always worry about my cory's since there are 25. Does he look plump or is he showing signs of a sunken belly? Most likely he is getting enough but you could add just a touch more food every 2nd or 3rd day just to be sure. If you don't go overboard you'll be okay. I do this about every 3rd day by adding cooked, deshelled, smashed peas to the tanks regular feeding. I feed normall first then add the peas. And all my rams absolutely love peas.

He's starting to show a sunken belly. I alternate foods daily but it does go on both ends of the tank. Unless I'm feeding a frozen cube then it goes where it lands.
It's almost as if he can't figure out where the food is. Possibly eyesight?
Tonight I dropped two cubes which is more then my fish can finish. But he at least had a chance to eat after everyone had their fill. But he spits a lot out.
Thought about adding live brine shrimp since my lfs sells it. Also I've heard they like it. But was worried about it being safe with the plants.
The other thing I was thinking was to drop a divider in at feeding time and try and separate him from the majority of the fish.
He/she ( I'm not certain yet) is out all the time but is a bit timid compared to other rams I've seen.

He also has been picking at my moss and mts. And hasn't picked a cave yet.

I'm wondering if he might have an internal parasite issue? Do you have a QT tank by chance? Or you might want to consider trying anti parasitic medicated flake food. Angels Plus sells a good one. Then all the fish will be treated. I'm not saying for sure that is his problem but it's kind of sounding like it could be.

That is possible. Would it be safe to feed to cories and shrimp? I'd rather treat them all to be safe

I know the fish are safe but I'd email Angels Plus and ask them about the shrimp. I'm sure they would email you back. If it was antibiotic food I'd say it's fine for the shrimp but just don't know about antiparsitic food.

Thank you rivercats! As always you are an asset to this board!

Good news! Just got home and dropped their cubes he looks fuller and went right for the cube with the other fish. And eating hearty amounts. I leave well before the sun comes up so don't see them in the morning. Also color looks better.

His/her front dorsal fins are not long could he be a she? Or is it just wishful thinking? Electric blue so no other way to tell

If it's young there is no way and I've found on my electric blues the males and females dorsal fins look remarkably similar. Don't know if it's just my stock or if that color varient in general is like that.

Well he is young. But the other electric ram in the lfs tank was the same size and was definitely a boy. His fins were clearly larger and had claimed a section of the tank. Wish this one would stop swimming long enough I could snap a decent photo of him ::)

Back
Top Bottom