Fluval Flora at work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pecktec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up a Fluval Flora at work. The tank itself is pretty nice. I love the rounded corners, the 3D background and the size of it. I didn't like the enormous box filter it came with so I swapped it for a smaller one (DJ50). I think the little CO2 backpack it comes with is cool but again the defuser is really big. The idea is to fill the defuser with CO2 gas once a day and let the bubbles desolve inside the plastic cups. It doesn't run continuously like regular CO2 kits but it is much cheeper. The bubbles last for several hours. The substrate the kit comes with seems to work well. It does have it's downside though in that its very light and difficult to plant in. I once again augmented (against the printed directions on the bag saying not to) the kit by adding Florish Substrate to the bottom back of the tank to add perspective and some added rooting area. The bag it comes with would be ok for some plants but really does not cover the floor of the tank very deeply so i thought it could use more. Also its very difficult to get it washed out. I rinsed it well and put water in using a small bowl so it wouldn't disturb the water to much, but it was still a mud pool for a day. It has a very nice light but I wanted a bit more wattage per gallon, so I added a second one. I'm not sure if the CO2 will be effective with only 13 watts. I added a Bio wheel to the initial startup as well. It helped get the bacteria going. The tank cycled up in about 9 days. I removed the wheel and it was stable and has remained so. I grabbed lots of Anubis moss and other stuff I could scavenge from my other tanks. I have added a few fish now and all seems well. The Anubis seemed to have handled the planting the best but the other plants are starting to get new growth also. All in all it's a neat kit. You can run with it out of the box but only with low light plants that don't need lots of rooting area. I put a video of the Bio Wheel set up I used to jump start the biological filter. it here on YouTube.

Attachments

• image-2947068401.jpg
    image-2947068401.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 292
  • image-4092487618.jpg
    image-4092487618.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 315
  • image-609561520.jpg
    image-609561520.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 298
  • image-639854840.jpg
    image-639854840.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 299
  • image-4275430214.jpg
    image-4275430214.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 379
  • image-382113249.jpg
    image-382113249.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 452
It's 7.8 gallons or something like that. I count it as a 7 gallon with all the other stuff in there.

Hey Pecktec, I know I'm about a month late, but I was wondering where you bought the extra light for your Fluval Flora the 13w just doesn't seem like enough to me!--- I have just recently learned that I can't take my big tanks with me to college so I've been told by the Housing Administrators at my future college that students are allowed "small fish bowls" about the size of a computer screen. Also-- what do you use CO2 wise? I don't see the Fluval CO2 thing that's included with the whole deal. Maybe you just hid it really well

Would the Flora fit into this category? I took the computer screen size as 12" or so... I did send an email to the lady asking if 12"x12"x12" was too big.

It's not tiny but you can say it's a small tank. With tiny creatures. Less than 10 gallons seems perfect I have noticed that the better they are maintained the less hassle you get. So long as the first impression is wow that's nice.

An update on the Fluval.

35531-albums1729-picture11648.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom