Fluval Spec 3 cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollbowl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I purchased a fluval spec 2.6 gallon as a piece for my desk. A lot of this post will be Captain Hindsight but ill need some help gettting my tank cycled to avoid frequent water changes. I initially set up the tank with eco complete w/floraspore gravel, live bamboo and Argentine spear. I let it run for a couple days and then got impatient and got two longfin danios. One was constantly chasing the other so I got two more and now they school and mostly leave eachother alone. I know its not enough space for four danios but this is my predicament. I used the water from the reputable fish store where i purchased my danios and the water from petco to fill the tank hoping that there would be some beneficial bacteria inside with some treated water from the tap as well. My ammonia levels now are .25ppm with a pH of 7.6 and 0ppm nitrite and 0ppm nitrate. I have a friend with a cycled tank who said he could give me some of his pourous rock but looking around many people seem to think its impossible to cycle a 2.6 gallon and I dont want to do a water change daily. Please help...:(

Huh... Well you could take the porous rock anyways at it will help if you have it in the flow of the filter. You could rehome the danios and then maybe get something that will tolerate that space like a nerites and a few shrimp? Or a betta but they really do well in larger spaces.

Not much you can do with a 2.6 besides the snails and shrimp.

Is this a freshwater tank? If so, with a couple plants water changes aren't required that often.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well since people are saying it is uncyclable (it is pretty difficult atleast) then you should use prime as your water conditioner to neutralize/detoxify the ammonia.

You may need to get another test kit for accurate results while using prime however.

If your friend can give you some filter media instead, then it will do wonders getting your cycle established.

Back
Top Bottom