Fluval Spec V build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquandrew

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the store today with my girlfriend, getting some rats ;), and i picked myself up a fluval spec v. it looks pretty nice, i like fluval tanks.
for my substrate i picked up some carribsea super natural sand.
img_2717153_0_810056be0d481ad9b66804d24fcf74ba.jpg

img_2717153_1_390df21018941d43feb7b3176865af1d.jpg

img_2717153_2_476aa41a3460f26d8061c5593b19e7c4.jpg

I'm still completely in the thought process of what i want this tank to look like, it was an impulse buy lol. anyone have recommendations on an extra led strip?

so this light is dimmable correct? what is it capable of in terms of lighting? i would be willing to do paintball co2 if it can grown some higher light plants. if not i already have a sketch of what i want it to look like, i will post it in an hour when i get off work. is there an easy way of running one co2 tank on 2 tanks? I'm considering getting a spec III and doing a shrimp tank and would like to run one unit for two tanks if possible.

awesome!!! now i have to rethink everything again lol. on that thread that you posted, brian, it says something about it only working on a timer. is this correct?

That's cool I'm getting a spec for Christmas I'm making it a shrimp tank. What are you planning on keeping in it?

awesome!!! now i have to rethink everything again lol. on that thread that you posted, brian, it says something about it only working on a timer. is this correct?

It can work with a conventional timer or Current's new Ramp Timer. Or no timer. I run mine on both timers.

It has a remote with preset color options, dynamic modes, and 4 customizable presets that you can create and save to your liking.

Here's a thread we compiled a lot of useful info and links about the light:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420457

Last edited:
awesome thanks brian!! do you know what the price is? lol i gotta know how much i am spending because i am putting together more than one tank right now

okay ordering the light tonight!!! if i go with medium light plants could i get away with just fetrilizers, liquid excel and pps pro?

awesome I've only really dealt with lowlight and done lots of research on others. my dad was more of a reef guy and goldfish lol so the past couple of years have just been more learning and personal experience rather than helping. the highest light I've used is a dual bulb t8 so could you give me some tips? anyone know a good book that discusses all lighting? led, t5, t5ho, t8 t12. i am going to be starting a 55 with a dual bulb t5ho also that my dad had on his 75 that i am turning into reef. should i just get two 6500k bulbs? is it going to be high output on a 55? if so i may go co2 on that because i can have my boss order me tanks and refill cheap. the most i have really done with planted is low light low maintenance. root tabs and liquid ferts with some trimming and such. i have read that some tanks need trimming weekly. my planted tanks consist/consisted of java fern, amazon sword, crypt, water sprite, moneywort, guppy grass, hornwort, rotala, micro crypt and various mosses. also non-aquatic plants without research from chain stores ;) any advice appreciated

okay this thread hasn't gone anywhere lol. i do have a few questions. today is payday and i finally plan to buy some things for this tank. first question is if i buy another spec v and put the lights from one onto both, would it grow low light plants better? and then the other one will be the medium light with the dimmable led suggested

hmmm i was thinking of maybe doing opposite looking tanks but if you have any good recommendations on a rimless tank, that isn't too expensive, that would be great :) i keep reading mixed reviews that the spec v can sustain lower light plants, but they will grow extremely slow. is this true? i would rather do a high-tech on a rimless than a fluval spec. the thing i really don't like about the spec v is how flimsy the plastic on the bottom is

I personally like rimless tanks and piecing the stuff together myself rather than buying an 'All-in-One' (AIO) tank kit. Prices have dropped significantly on elegant looking rimless tanks since the monopoly days of ADA.

Here are some good options for rimless tanks at the moment:

CAD Lights Zen series:
ZEN SeriesNEW : CAD Lights, Think outside the cube

AquaTop tanks from TruAqua:
High Clarity Glass Aquarium Tanks

Mr Aqua Tanks:
Mr. Aqua Saltwater Fish, Coral & Reef Aquariums

And of course, the most expensive ('for the name'), ADA:
Aquarium Tank : Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano

I'd probably go with a CAD Lights tank if you want a rectangular tank. If you want a cube, get an AquaTop, and if you want a long tank like a 12L, get the Mr. Aqua.

After you decide on a tank, we can help with lighting and equipment if you'd like. Happy hunting :)

Back
Top Bottom