Fluval Spec V: Ten Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking at the Fluval Spec V for setting up a planted tank with RCS. I like the integrated filter. My plans? Not injecting CO2 (though DIY down the road is a possibility); will use a liquid carbon supplement with liquid ferts and root tabs as needed. Eco-complete, DW, fishless cycle.

I have 10 (okay, more like 14) questions: feel free to answer some (or all). All questions assume an out of the box setup. Thanks in advance.

1. Would it be classified as low, low medium or medium in terms of light intensity?

2. Can carpeting plants grow in this tank?

3. If so, which kinds?

4. Is there an activated carbon portion in the filter?

5. If I remove it will there be enough room to add a second sponge or more biomax or ceramic rings?

6. What wattage of heater is needed to keep the temp between 76-80 F (assuming the room stays between 66-70 F in the winter)?

7. Is there room in the filter to place the heater?

8. Any mods suggested for improving circulation in case the heater is in the filter?

9. I do not have a planting list yet. 1 or 2 varieties of moss at a minimum. Maybe java fern. Given the dimensions of the tank and light output, what are some recommended plants for this tank?

10. What could be done to prevent baby shrimp from entering the filter intake?

11. Are there nano fish that can be added that will not eat baby shrimp?

12. With a Petsmart discount, it is on sale for $79.99. Good price?

13. Given that this is a Fluval product, how quiet is this tank? It is going into a bedroom.

Finally...
14. If you own a Fluval Spec V, would you recommend it to others?

First off... Awesome username. Very Crafty. haha

I too am looking to buy the Fluval Spec. I am using it for a nano/pico reef tank though. I can't speak for the freshwater questions because I really don't have experience with freshwater.

I posted about the fluvial spec yesterday and got some good feed back about it from AA. I also found some very good reviews for it online. I think $80 is the cheapest I've seen it.

As far as heating. I already put in an order for a 100 watt digital heater from TruAqua. They do come in smaller sizes but I order the 100 watt because I figured I would probably use it for a larger tank eventually. Also because I don't heat my apartment very much so the tank would need more heat. The digital heater checks room temp, tank temp and allows you to set the heat. It has a automatic on and off switch so you don't have to watch it. It has free shipping right now too! I think the heaters actual size might be a little big for the tank but like I said I am going to end up using it for a large tank one day any ways.

This website gives you some better specifications on the fluval tank: Fluval Spec Desktop Aquarium Kits | Desktop & Nano Aquariums

It does say there is an activated carbon filter in the 3-step process.

Hope that answers some of your questions!

Ditto on the name searchin

Yep it answered a few of them. Just doing research before I buy this. Don't want to purchase this, set it up and then have buyers regret.

Was also looking at the schuber wright mini 66. From what I've read, great lights and good price. But adding a filter and heater will use up value space in a small tank IMO.

I will check out the heater from truAqua.

Back
Top Bottom