Fluval spec v

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malawi Freak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Who else has a fluval spec v running. I recently set one up for shrimp and I'm having a bit of an issue with it from the second I opened the box and looked at it. The wall for the filter on the bottom (below the sponge filter) has a cut out for water to flow out of. Right next to it is the pump for return flow, I've been getting a strong feeling water is bypassing the overflow for the filter and just being pulled by the pump. I get these feelings since numerous times I've seen a small piece of plant sucked into it.

Has anyone done anything to seal it off to ensure the only water flowing through is going through the sponge filter?

Following because I am interested in getting one of these tanks. Curious about the responses for the water bypass.
Also, since you are using the for a shrimp tank, any problems with smaller shrimp going through the filter intake grate/slots?

Haven't gotten to that yet but currently have 2 shrimp that are berried. I don't think that will really be a problem though but I also have anacharis in there right now which the majority of the shrimp have moved into. I am probably going to take it out however cause I feel it's too crowded with it. A larger tank it would work but for this size it's just throwing off the aesthetics to me.

I'm worried the water is getting sucked in through the bottom slot (which on the box was supposed to be a secondary return). The problem with this is it completely bypasses the filter then.

I see what you're saying. I'm sure that there is flow through that little hole but I'm pretty confident the filter is still pulling In a Good amount too. I've seen some things get pulled in at the top. Also large things are currently stuck at the top on mine. In my picture, a stick and some other gunk is stuck at the top.

Attachments

• image-2286363039.jpg
    image-2286363039.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 264
I get leaves stuck to my top as well but I've also seen things get stuck in the bottom slit. I found a thread on TPT (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200283) where a lot of people are having the same issue along with finding dead shrimp in there. Ill be closing mine up tomorrow. I'm thinking a thin piece of plastic and silicone on the inside. If the pump wasn't right next to the slit I would be concerned but this was a poor design by fluval. Typical of them though, always making great products and then leaving a stupid flaw.

I recently set up a SpecV, i think the flow offset by the small opening is to prevent the compartment containing the pump from running dry as the slots above the filter compartment could easily be left high and dry by water changes (you could just turn it off) or neglect through evaporation. In any case my filter gets plenty dirty so it must be working, even on the lowest flow setting.

Back
Top Bottom