Foam on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqtnp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have a 110 gallon freshwater tank with discus, tetras, serpaes, otos, clown loach and live plants. All of the chmicals are fine, the ph is 6.8 and the temp is about 80 degrees. I do a water change twice weekly of about 50%. I feed twice daily. In the past few weeks there has been a bubbly foam in a corner of the tank and no matter how often I do water change, it recurs. I thought it might be too much food or that the floating pellets were old so I replaced, but it still is occurring. Any suggestions? Thanks. :facepalm:

Do you have a air stone/bubbler? Even tho you do 2 large WC's weekly you could have an organic buildup in your aquarium. It could come from dirty substrate and or dirty filters. Airstones/bubblers can cause dissolved organic compounds to adhered to the bubbles and cause foam.

Now that was a great thought because I actually just took the air stone out about six weeks ago after an ich outbreak. Now I just have a UV filtration system (sorry, forgot to mention that as well!) Any other thoughts?

Its definitely not the water conditioner. I use Prime and it doesn't create foam in my aquarium. If it says on the bottle that it will not over activate protein skimmers then it will not cause foam from air stones or filters.

Back
Top Bottom