Food choise: spinach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

Guys I just bought a new 35g tank and I got only cichlids in it. Well I use to feed them by tropical Flakes "tetraMin" and cichlid sticks "Aqueon. I found that they are vegeterians too and there is a problem when I went to the foodstore to get a Spinach and I was confused by many kids of spinach. What type of spinach should I get to feed my cichlids ? I have 4 Demanosi and 3 Yellow labs. :confused:

There is another problem, after I bought a set of caves they always hidding... I can see them swimming only at the morning and only when I feed them. Most of the time my tank looks empty what should i do???

Just give them some time maybe? Is your tank cycled?
I use baby spinach, and just blanch it a little before I give it to them.

Yep my tank is cycled. I test my water quality every single day. Thanks I ll try to feed them by baby spinach ;) Btw Dkpate could you post some pics of spinach you use to feed cichlids? or a link ? I don't want to get a wrong spinach ;-/

I don't have cichlids, but I feed my fish the baby spinach, and yes, I will post a link with a pic for you.
http://www.freshexpress.com/Assets/Images/PLR/bb_bspf_lores.jpg
and
http://scarboroughfarms.com/products/img/contVis_babySpinach.jpg

I do get organic spinach, so I know there hasn't been any pesticides sprayed on it.
I also feed my fish boiled, de-shelled peas once a week, because it is a laxative for fish, and helps keep away the swim bladder problems.
I think you can also feed them blanched zuchinni.
Blanched means boiled for a few minutes to make it a little softer.

I have some of the same cichlids that you have. My main food is New Life Spectrum Cichlid formula 1mm sinking pellets. I also give them frozen veggie cubes from the fish store a couple times a week. I didnt have very good luck with my own veggies. Maybe I did it wrong. As far as them coming out more, I think they will do that in time. Once they establish thier hiding places and every knows what belongs to who, they will show themselves more. Be patient. They will come out.

Thanks for info guys, it helps me a lot.

Spoonman I have a large amount of Texas Holly Rocks in my tank(these rocks are white) so i noticed that they getting dirty .. Should I remove and clean them? I don't know what should I do now cuz almost half of my cichlids hidding in these rocks.

I dont clean mine. The Mbuna that I (and you) have are mostly algae grazers, so if you watch them they are probably picking at it. Personal preference, but, I dont clean mine, just re-arrange every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom