food for the blues??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe in different foods to. Jnduce certain colours.
I think it's more down to feeding hight quality food and any fish of any of any species colour will flourish.
I keep a pair of electric blue rams and they are ELECTRIC! I feed these frozen bloodworm along with tubifex and brine shrimp, also good quality tropical flakes I use new era ones they are good they come in BIG flakes great to clear up any leftover waste!
Here is my male ebr.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111103_005547.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111103_005547.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 88
thanks guys!!

& WOW russ!! no nonsense, he is ELECTRIC!!

i think i'm gonna try switching up their diet from just pellets to a mix like you mentioned .. def gonna try some bloodworms & spectrum pellets (what i've heard are the best) & mayybe some brine shrimp..

i have an electric blue lobster (who is slowly turning red) who would probably also benefit from something other than the algae discs i feed him LOL

Russ- how well would a pair of elec blue rams do in a discus tank setup? I'm trying to decide on what I want my next tank to be...

Lol thanks ronnie appreciated his girlfriend is just as blue too!
Switching around could help with the lobster although I'm pretty sure the whole blues turning red thing is quite common as far as im aware.

Tsk, yes rams are about the only other cichlids you can keep with discus as most others are just too big boisterous and aggressive. I haven't kept discus myself yet but it's in the pipeline and rams are on my list for tankmates.
Just be aware that both of my ram pairs breed quite regularly and during this time they become has highly territorial and possibly could pick on the dicus if there isn't enough space/hiding places for the rams.

got some spectrum & bloodworms today.. i was gonna grab brine shrimp too but i didnt know if i should get the pellets or live .. either one better/worse?

i also have a bunch of hikari color & staple pellets left but i'll prob give away the staple cuz i dont need growth, i need color lol

If your looking for colour ronnie, id go for the live brineshrimp definitely!

looks like i'll be heading back tomorrow LOL

i'm thinking i'll do those as a treat every 2 weeks.. sufficient?

or should i just get the little container and keep a bunch for every few days?

I usually feed my lives once a week tbh honest or if im trying to trigger breeding every third day.

ronnieroach said:
looks like i'll be heading back tomorrow LOL

i'm thinking i'll do those as a treat every 2 weeks.. sufficient?

or should i just get the little container and keep a bunch for every few days?

Just be careful not to feed mbuna too much protein.

ok thanks guys.. i think i'll do the 2 week dealy i said before.. maybe every 10 days

& joel, why is that? i was planning on getting about 4 more mbunas after i rehomed 2 of my peacocks.. 4 mbunas IF i cant find any COLORFUL female peacocks

ronnieroach said:
ok thanks guys.. i think i'll do the 2 week dealy i said before.. maybe every 10 days

& joel, why is that? i was planning on getting about 4 more mbunas after i rehomed 2 of my peacocks.. 4 mbunas IF i cant find any COLORFUL female peacocks

"Malawi bloat" prolly the most common killer of mbuna. Blanched veggies and nls pellets is what I feed mine. In nature most mbuna are herbivores and have a longer intestinal track bc of it. They can't process protein super fast.

ronnieroach said:
awesome thanks joel i appreciate the info

what sort of veggies do you feed? 'blanched?'

Carrots, zucchini, peas. They all seem to like the peas the best. Even my synodontis

Back
Top Bottom