Food for Thought... Pronounciations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
I just got thinking about some funny stuff... like why you drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway... what the difference between a parkway, freeway, and expressway is, why we have 12 months of the year, rather than 4 months to mirror the seasons, and a few others...

But I really got thinking how there are some things that I just don't know whether I pronounce or not. February. Who says Feb Roo Airy??? That's how it looks, right? I've always said Feb You Wary. How bout Wednesday? Who says Wed Nes Day? I say Winds Day.

So, anybody else ever wonder about that? I guess what really made me think about it was hearing some people that came in to the lfs while I was shooting the bull mispronouncing fish names like crazy (like pronouncing Julii cory- 'julie cory' rather than Joo Lee Eye... and Kenyi as 'kenyee' rather than ken yie). Made me wonder if people look at me weird when I saw wednesday and february.

Well I'm from RI/MA so I have a very strange kind of New York like accent. So a lot of the words I say aren't pronounced how they sound. I also say Feb U Ary. Coffee becomes coughffee, dog becomes dauwg, idea becomes idear, all my r's usually become h's and I add r's to words that end in vowels. Ha. But I'm sure many people know the Boston/Rhode Island accent.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Call me a geek, but when I start to wonder about a word I whip out my trusty Oxford Complete Wordfinder.

They have February as Feb Roo Airy and Feb Yoo Airy, so take your pick, Wednesday is listed as Whens Day.

As a kid I remember reading Gesundheit a lot (German for "bless you") and I pronounced it Gresh In Deet. It was years before someone corrected me and looking back it baffles me how I came up with that pronunciation. I added an R somehow, lol.

Any word people might read a lot, but not hear spoken much is ripe for mispronunciation.

^makes sense. I would have pronounced it guess und height just reading it, but I've heard many people, after a loud sneeze, pronounce it more like 'gez oon tight'.

As far as the new york/phillidelphia type accents, you should hear mine. I get told on a daily basis that I sound like an even more redneck version of Larry the cable guy. If a word ends with 'ow' like window, I pronounce it 'wind err', basically putting 'er' to replace the 'ow' on all those words... except tomoato and tobacco and potato, and lots of other words... those are 'mater, baccer, and tater'. lol

mfdrookie516 said:
^makes sense. I would have pronounced it guess und height just reading it, but I've heard many people, after a loud sneeze, pronounce it more like 'gez oon tight'.

As far as the new york/phillidelphia type accents, you should hear mine. I get told on a daily basis that I sound like an even more redneck version of Larry the cable guy. If a word ends with 'ow' like window, I pronounce it 'wind err', basically putting 'er' to replace the 'ow' on all those words... except tomoato and tobacco and potato, and lots of other words... those are 'mater, baccer, and tater'. lol

Hah window up here is winda. My grandfather has such an accent, he's like those old men you see fighting in grumpy old men haha. " Look out dat ( that) winda and look at dat deaa (deer) eatin my god **** bushes!" haha

I automatically use the American pronunciation to help people understand me when I talk. I always use hood, trunk, etc instead of bonnet and boot. I'm British born but worked for a US company since 2005. I moved to the US in 2006.

My wife has to order at drive through speakers and any situation where I just don't feel like repeating myself. I speak very clearly but I think sometimes when I talk people are so taken aback by my accent that they don't bother to actually listen to what I am saying. :)

We've also lived in Massachusetts for a year during our time together. Oddly enough the people in that area had many less problems understanding me.

I have a friend who I used to work with. Her parents are both from Malaysia, but they moved to London before they had her. She looks Malaysian, but speaks with a London accent (very strong I might add). We always had so much fun at work comparing the way we said various things like gas station vs petrol station.

im from ri so i tend to do the whole adding "r's" and "winda" and pronouncing car kar well you guys up in new england know what im talkin about

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

I don't have an accent, but I used to live in NYC and hung around a puerto rican from the bronx. and one day I said kual instead of call... I was like, what the... im speaking with an accent.... lol.

I have been told I have an accent, but only by people who are not from the West Coast. Us over here think the East Coast has an accent, and vice versa. I sometimes find myself talking like a Canadian, since I grew up so close to the border.

My parents add an "r" to alot of things, like WaRshington and WaRsh. Good lawd, drives me nuts! My friend says toRlet, instead of toilet, and her mom says pallow, instead of pillow.
We have words up here and people have no idea what they mean, just like other places have words we don't say/know, but they all mean the same thing.

When I was down in Mexico, we hung out with the World Cup Mountain Bike team from England, and I got such a kick out of listening to them! I couldn't keep up most of the time, but it was great. :D

My favorite accents are Scottish and Irish though, I could listen to them all day!!!

At the moment my husband and I are taking care of his 100 year old grandpa, he is from Warsaw, Poland, and I think he is making both of us have a new accent! I can pretend to have the Polish accent by adding "ski" to the end of everything. ;) LOL

Oh, and btw, I say Wens day.

My parents add an "r" to alot of things, like WaRshington and WaRsh. Good lawd, drives me nuts! My friend says toRlet, instead of toilet, and her mom says pallow, instead of pillow.

OMG, my ex did that. He would say set instead of sit, too. It drove me insane. See why he's my ex? ;) Lolzies, jk.

mfdrookie516 said:
I would expect it to be more like Kah, or maybe that's more philly style?

No I think kah is just right ha pahk the kah in the backyahd of havahd squeahha.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom