Food..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I must be batman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a stupid question, but what brand of food is best for tropical fish? Does it even matter? Fish eat no matter what right? I hope there's no such thing as a picky eater fish...

I must be batman said:
This is a stupid question, but what brand of food is best for tropical fish? Does it even matter? Fish eat no matter what right? I hope there's no such thing as a picky eater fish...

New life spectrum is what everyone recommends... Also hikari frozen bloodworms.

Most fish will eat fish flakes, but give them brine shrimp or bloodworms for a snacks too, they love that stuff lol.

Pigeonfood said:
Most fish will eat fish flakes, but give them brine shrimp or bloodworms for a snacks too, they love that stuff lol.

Ya, the brine shrimp have almost 0 nutritional value though, so just keep that in mind when feeding.

adult brine shrimp are definitely not very nutritious, I wouldn't go as far to say that they have almost 0 nutritional value, but I don't know enough about them to make an accurate statement of their exact nutritional value.

There are all kinds of high quality foods on the market now, and NLS is definitely one of them. There are many other premium brands and lines, both in flake and pellet form. Just check the ingredient lists and see.

I like varying their diet with different types of foods just to make sure they are getting everything in there.

adult brine shrimp are definitely not very nutritious, I wouldn't go as far to say that they have almost 0 nutritional value, but I don't know enough about them to make an accurate statement of their exact nutritional value.

There are all kinds of high quality foods on the market now, and NLS is definitely one of them. There are many other premium brands and lines, both in flake and pellet form. Just check the ingredient lists and see.

I like varying their diet with different types of foods just to make sure they are getting everything in there.

When I look at a dog food label, I know what I should be avoiding...are there "fillers" I should look for on a fish food label? Or, for example, are there other ingredients that should be at the top? Hope that's an easy question! Thanks for the food suggestion. I'm going to be getting my first fishies tomorrow (well, besides the plec) and the only food I have are the flakes that came with my Aqueon tank...

ETA: I remember when I used to have a tank eons ago I think I fed my fish some bloodworms (does that sound right? They were in a frozen cube) or maybe it was shrimp. At any rate. They went nutso over it. I had a couple different kinds of tetra and platy.

just make sure to not buy any freeze-dried foods. they aren't good for fish's digestive tracts, as they cause bloating which can lead to swim bladder issues. high quality flakes and pellets, frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp are all good choices. i like to feed my fish peas about once a week or so as well, to help their digestive health (blanch frozen peas in the microwave, pop them out of the shell, smoosh it up and put it in the tank :) )

plecos and otos enjoy things like lettuce (not iceberg) and blanched zucchini as well as high quality algae wafers.

i also like to soak all flakes and pellets in a little cup of tank water before adding it to the tank, to cut back on bloating.

When I look at a dog food label, I know what I should be avoiding...are there "fillers" I should look for on a fish food label? Or, for example, are there other ingredients that should be at the top? Hope that's an easy question! Thanks for the food suggestion. I'm going to be getting my first fishies tomorrow (well, besides the plec) and the only food I have are the flakes that came with my Aqueon tank...

I just look out for fillers like soy meal, oats, grains, etc. Some people say to stay away from fish meal, but honestly the term 'fish meal' is very generic, and there are some very high quality foods that use fish meal. Many food suppliers have gone to more detail in their ingredient list to keep from getting the 'fish meal' bad rap, so with many you'll see some sort of 'whole' fish. The bulk supplier I use mainly works with dried salmon.

If you are interested I can send you several samples of different flakes and pellets for the cost of shipping ($3) if you want to give them a try, just let me know.

ETA: I remember when I used to have a tank eons ago I think I fed my fish some bloodworms (does that sound right? They were in a frozen cube) or maybe it was shrimp. At any rate. They went nutso over it. I had a couple different kinds of tetra and platy.
Was probably brine shrimp or bloodworms, most fish love these things. I feed mine frozen bloodworms once every couple of days, it helps get them in spawning condition.

Is there a high quality food that I can find at a big box pet store? I'm not having much luck at finding New Life Spectrum.

I did some more searching and found Petco has NLS. I must not have been trying too hard. :) Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom