Foot print for good Nitrate removal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my new 150 gal 72 x 18 x 29. I'm moving my 30 gal into it. Fish / LR / corals / inverts. I have a 300 gal water tank in the basement for volume. I have a 30 and a 10 gal glass tank at my disposal. I don't really want to fill the tank with LR because I like the open look. I don't want a DSB in the display tank also for looks (a couple of inches I think would look good but not 4 to 6). If I use the 30 for a fuge with a DSB would that be a large enough footprint 30 x 12 of DSB to control the nitrates? Do I need to stick some more LR in the 300gal plastic tank? Also, the overflows in my tank will be maxed at a rate of 8 turn overs, should I supplement? Do any of the nitrate reductors work? How long do those deniballs last? A viable option? I love this site, thanks for all the info!

i see what your saying and yes if i were you i would add all the live rock and sand to the 300 gallon !! the 30 and 10 wont help out as well as a 4"-6" bed or more of sand in the 300 gal !! is the 300 gallon lit?? with a set up like that no need for a nitrate reducer unless you plan on over stocking the tank but then ya still have other issues anyway !! there was a guy here a few months ago with a great L shaped tank and he didnt add much sand to the display but set up two large tubs filled with sand !! which i must say i kinda liked that idea myself !!
imo yes you will need a few ph to move water over and beyond the main pump for sure !!
deniballs ??? lost there !! do ya mean the bio-balls for wet dry filters ??? if that what ya saying those last for ever !!! but sand lr much much better unless ya just doing fish only !! many people have kept fish with only a wet/dry filter for years !! i have still do on two tanks !! but with a reef ya better with the lr/sand !! :)

well id think that ya would want to have a diverse ecosystem ?!?!? and with the lr ya will have pods ect depending on were ya get the rock !! but most feed the blender mush and that would feed everything on the 1st floor and basement !!

as for not feeling like feeding the 300 everyday !! what about your main tank ?!?!? this hobby takes alot of time and dedication for long term success !! you will get out of it what ya put into it !!
as for sand sifters these i like the best Nassarius snails !!

I'm building out the basement for my brother and his wife. To not go through his living room I will have to go outside around the house to get to the 300 gal tank. That's why I would prefer to not have to feed the 300 gal tank. However, you do have a point about them getting food from the upstairs tank as long as I don't put it through a filter before the big tank. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom