Foreground plants on a low light tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shesky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting a 30 gallon long tank to showcase shrimp and neons. I presently have a 10 gallon planted tank with shrimp and endlers under low light and withour CO which has been going well for 4 months. Would like to start a bigger tank but would like this to have a more "matted" look with the foregound plants. This will also be a low light tank without CO. Any suggestions for plants.

Thanks

Low Light Foreground Plants

Starting a 30 gallon long tank to showcase shrimp and neons. I presently have a 10 gallon planted tank with shrimp and endlers under low light and withour CO which has been going well for 4 months. Would like to start a bigger tank but would like this to have a more "matted" look with the foregound plants. This will also be a low light tank without CO. Any suggestions for plants.

Thanks

Hello She...

I keep larger tanks with subdued lighting and have Anubias nana in the front part of them. The nana variety has medium sized leaves, but doesn't get very tall. I have the plants attached to smaller pieces of driftwood and lava rock. I just used some dark sewing thread to attach the plants.

Low light plants don't require CO2 or even fertilizers other than the kind the fish produce. If you have a reasonable fish load in the tank, your plants will be fine. I do keep the water very pure with large, frequent water changes. This maintains a high mineral content in the water. The plants, like the fish, do much better in pure water conditions.

B

I like dwarf hairgrass for a front plant. It's a good substrate cover plant and spreads fairly easily under the right conditions. Look into it

I've grown Micro Chain Swords and Four leaf clover (Marsilea quadrifolia) in pretty low light. Both will grow slow and Micro chain swords will do better if you add root tabs around them. You could also use crypts as they do well in low light but also need root tabs since they are heavy root feeders.

Back
Top Bottom