Former Reptile tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am always stalking craigslist for new tanks and often see cheap ones that have been used to hold reptiles. I heard here once that there can be something bad about using a tank that held a reptile for fish. Something about toxins being stored in the sealant? Help me out here!

I have used several tanks after reptiles. I have a 20 gallon that used to house a turtle. I just cleaned it really well and never had any problems other than ick once but that was my fault.

You just need to make sure they are still water tight. The bottoms tend to start leaking after years of reptile use.

Thanks! This is great! I don't know why, but folks tend to price the reptile tanks cheaper than the "aquariums". I think because to a bearded dragon it's just a house, but to a fish it's like a whole world!

Some actual reptile tanks are made with thinner glass that won't take the weight of the water. Just know what you're buying.

Rutrag said:
Some actual reptile tanks are made with thinner glass that won't take the weight of the water. Just know what you're buying.

+1
This is usually why they are cheaper.

Rutrag said:

Oooh, good one. Never knew that - I'll go take a look at both kinds of tanks next time I'm at petco etc so I can figure it out. Wow, great advice, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom