FOWLR Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmwalters

Aquarium Advice Activist
At some point in the near future, I am going to start up a 30 to 40 gallon FOWLR tank. I have been doing my research, and it just seems to me that there are so many options and opinions out there that it gets to be confusing. Basically, I have a general idea of what I need, but I still have a few questions. For a tank that size would a good HOB filter and skimmer be sufficient? I am aware I would have to get a filter rated for well over 30 gallons, but I am in the dark about skimmers. Any help would be appreciated on that subject. Also, would 20 pounds of live rock and 15 pounds of dead rock do? Or would it be better to just go ahead and get all of it live rock. I would like to stock it with a pair of Ocellaris Clown, a blenny of some kind, and maybe a wrasse or a firefish. IS this stocking okay? Anything else you feel that I need to know is entirely welcomed.

Also, this tank is still early in the planning phase, I am just entirely new to saltwater and would like to make sure I don't go into it half-cocked.

For saltwater aquariums, the HOB filters are useful to run chemical media (carbon, purigen, GFO), but the ceramic rings or whatever they use for biological filtration is what we get live rock for, so it's not really necessary. A lot of people make a DIY refugeum out of them, which I think is a lot better idea. With that and a skimmer, along with your sand bed and live rock, you would have plenty of filtration. Your stocking plan sounds good, but some wrasses get too large for a 30-40g tank. You can absolutely use some dry rock to save on costs if you want. Check craigslist I have found some really good deals on there for equipment!

Also check for local reef/saltwater clubs. You can find deals on equipment, rock, and such from clubs. Members may have stuff they are willing to sell but don't post on Craigslist.

saltcreep1025 said:
For saltwater aquariums, the HOB filters are useful to run chemical media (carbon, purigen, GFO), but the ceramic rings or whatever they use for biological filtration is what we get live rock for, so it's not really necessary. A lot of people make a DIY refugeum out of them, which I think is a lot better idea. With that and a skimmer, along with your sand bed and live rock, you would have plenty of filtration. Your stocking plan sounds good, but some wrasses get too large for a 30-40g tank. You can absolutely use some dry rock to save on costs if you want. Check craigslist I have found some really good deals on there for equipment!

+1. Only thing id add is to do a refugium sump if you have room. Not only does it add some volume to your tank, but it gives you a hidden spot for a majority of the equipment (heaters, skimmers, etc)

Thanks everyone. About the refugium, that just means to put a live sand bed and some live rock rubble into the filter right? Also, a sump may or may not be possible. The tank I am looking at right now has room for one but it all depends on whether or not the tank I end up getting has a stand or not. Does anyone have a wrasse they would recommend? I have seen a lot about the six line wrasse.

Back
Top Bottom