Frag Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I have a couple of aptasia in the frag tank. Not that bad really. Got the JJ ready for them! That rock with the GSP on it was in a small tank of mine and I knew there was a couple of those nasty little guys in there. I'll take care of them!

Today I will be fragging an Acro that I have. I will try and take some pics of the process and post them here. I'm going to end up with so many frags from this that I will have to put the other egg crate in the tank soon!

Thanks Linds...you should see it now. I fragged that acro and I have about 45 frags...I need to put the other shelves in to hold all the zoas I have fragged....This little project has become a BIG one. LOL

I don't feed my tank phyto at all. That just makes a mess and causes my skimmer to go nuts. My corals get what they need from frequent large PWCs and lighting. When we upgrade to the 210 I'm going to add a Calcium reactor to the system to keep the CA levels up.

Ziggy,

I know this is a bit late on the drilling, but I'm going to do a project very much like yours.

What size hole did you drill, and where did you get your drill?

Thnx

Dave

I drilled 1 3/4" holes to use a 1" bulkhead. I got my drill bit from my LFS he carries a varity of sizes. It is one of those bits that you can't find at lowes or home depot. You will need to go to a glass shop or get one online. Check on ebay they usually have some available. When you get your bulkheads there should be a sticker on it to tell you what size hole you will need to drill.

When drilling your tank make sure to take your time and keep the area and the bit wet at all times. I had someone help me and they dripped water on the area while I was drilling. Also make sure to have a towel doubled up inside the tank where the piece of glass that you are removing will fall to keep it from busting the other side of the tank out.

Wow it's been a while since I posted anything on this thread. I snapped a couple of pics of the frag tank. I have a lot of work to do in it but I just can't seem to find the time lately. Anyway here are a couple of pics with some stuff in it. Also the eggcrate "rack" is my newest addition to the tank. I haven't put it in yet but I will this week. I have so many frags right now I have to do something and this was an idea I picked up from a fellow reefer.

These pics were taken before my frag'n party over the weekend. You can't see any eggcrate in the tank now with all the new frags. This will give you a little bit of an idea of how I have it set up though.

1011420smallsn9.jpg

1011419smalltc2.jpg

Well I just put the new lights on the Frag tank. They are suspended from the celing. 2x110 VHO actinics and 2x 175w MH (10,000K).

What do you think? I should get better growth in my frags with this lighting on a 55.

1011491smallgt1.jpg

Next weekend when I move the reef from the 72 to the 150 I will be nipping and snipping to make more frags. I have to straighten up the frag tank and get things in their places again. I'm excited about the new lights for the tank.

Give me another week and I'll have the frag tank looking good again. I'm taking things slowly in adding them back to the display. 2 cracked tanks will make you a little gun shy. (reference my build thread in sig line)

As soon as I get all the fish and corals out of the frag tank and things back to normal I'll get some pics posted. I've had some amazing growth in the frag system since I added the new lighting. I've ordered some new bulbs for it as I believe these are OLD!

More to come soon...

It's good to hear all is doing well with all the uprooting and such. How is the milli doing? (you know I have to ask :) )

Back
Top Bottom