Freak's 120 gallon Uaru and crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this tank, can't wait to get rid of the pike and fill out the lemon tetras school again lol still need a better light for it, and I still wanna try some lily pads (if anyone has one in their pond that they would be so kind as to donate to me, I'll love you forever haha)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Indeed. Consider yourself lillied. Just gotta figure out shipping. Its lost lots of pads, as its gettin chilly here, but hasnt gone dormant yet

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its a sunrise pink\white lilly. I have some rhizomes that i have prepared for next year also if youd like to try those. I also have the rarest lilly out right now. I will find it name for you. Theres just one issue with the rare one. Its propieterially liscensed which means you CANT sell it. But i surecould dpnate it. Theres only a few hundred of them its bright purple. I won it in at the international water garden expo and symposium. Its purple (according to the experts its the only purple lily line in existence) iand was created and liscensed this yr. Holler if interested.

A Lily would definitely be a better option than one of the lotus sp. my tiger gets messed up if anyone gets rambunctious, the only downside to a lily is the dormant period.

Poppa, that'd be great! I feel like those would be tough enough to withstand the uaru. I wouldn't want to take the purple though, just in case this doesn't work out and they destroy it, or it doesn't want to live inside my tank. I've been dying to try some lilies, not old because they're rubbery and tough, but because they'll provide some great shade for the new punctulatum and hopefully make the tetras feel safer, especially once the pike is gone and I can refill my school back to 24 strong

Will it still go dormant inside of a tank that is 77-82 all year round?

Last edited:
It shouldnt.... But thats new territory for me, as i have not kept them inside before. I have seen them kept inside with no issues. My only concern would be the amount of hours they like full light. It could stir up an algae issue until you get it fine tuned.

The tank is typically lit for 12 I believe, and I only have a slight diatom issue right now. I may upgrade the lights eventually to LEDs but for now, they're just standard T8. I had been meaning to try a lily this year, but everywhere around here wanted an arm and a leg, and it seemed to have slipped my mind and I stopped looking.

Hey Poppa, let me know about the lily though, if you're willing to donate, I will gladly pay for the shipping. You'd be doing me a HUGE favor and I'd appreciate it like none other

Oh i already plan on hooking you up. This week is an absolute nightmare at work. Had to fire my other chef, so im pulling double duty. Plus i need to research shipping a lily. Ive never shipped pond plants of this nature before, and id like to get it right. I might try to send just the rhizome i have thats already dormant. No leaves to worry about. And see if it comes out for your tank. And if not then I'd send a non dormant one. What do ya think?

Lol I'd be happy with a jar of dirt. The fact that you're willing to go out of your way to help me out is amazing.

As for the leaves, I would think that it would just need to be the rhimozome that stays damp but I've never shipped lilies either

That's awesome papa! Still loving the tank there Freak!!! Some day I need to get me some Urau's.

That's awesome papa! Still loving the tank there Freak!!! Some day I need to get me some Urau's.

Heard if you hit freaks for trick or treat he's got king size uaru!! Just bring a 5 gal bucket:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm like the Oprah of uaru! You get an uaru, and you get an uaru, everyone gets an uaru!

hopefully I'll get these guys to adults, and be able to get a pair. You'll get some complimentary ones sent your way when that day comes, Mike

I'll take an Oprah book, I no want freaky eyed fish.

I love their weird eyes, seriously my favorite cichlid species. They're so different and yet still interactive while being peaceful. Now if they would just stop eating anything green, and would grow faster, I'd be much happier

I love their weird eyes, seriously my favorite cichlid species. They're so different and yet still interactive while being peaceful. Now if they would just stop eating anything green, and would grow faster, I'd be much happier

My Argentea is eating the sword tips and any new growth. The swords don't seem to stand a chance. The top 1/2" is gone on every leaf.

My Argentea is eating the sword tips and any new growth. The swords don't seem to stand a chance. The top 1/2" is gone on every leaf.

Pshhhh my 6 could go through an enormous sword in about an hour, if that lol

FWIW, I recently got a sprouted dwarf lily wrapped in a few sheets of wet newspaper, which was wrapped in a bag, which in turn was wrapped in insulating material. Worked a treat!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Pike is now gone, went to a local club member (CCA) who is going to throw him in with her female, and will use the pair as population control for one of her tanks.

The crenicara are settling in nicely. I added my male bristlenose back into the tank last night and he's back to guarding a cichlid stone after doing the dance with the female in there last night.

Gonna be buying more lemon tetras soon, now that the pike is gone.

Doing a water change right now. They were all breathing kind of heavy, which is concerning as I have done 2 water changes this week :/

I was just thinking about that fish yesterday, could it have been C. proteus? They get confused for regani and are as mean as comps, there's so many dwarf species now that I forgot about that one.

Back
Top Bottom