Freeze Dried Tubifex Worms Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read a lot of articles online about fish getting sick from parasites / bacteria from live tubifex worms.

Does the freeze drying process kill said bacteria and or parasites?

Anyone have any experience or adverse experience with freeze dried tubifex?

Thanks Ya'll

I just bought some and found my fish don't like it at all! :)
One thing I have read is that it's best to soak any dried food for a bit, as otherwise it might expand in the fish's gut - like a human eating raw oats and then drinking water.

I know that daphnia eggs can survive the freezedrying process so I suppose it's possible that parasites can too? But I don't have any personal experience of this? Would be interested to see other answers.

You should have no trouble with them. I've fed them to my fish more than once with no ill effect, nor have I ever heard of anyone having problems with them. Not all fish like them, but many do. The soaking Masha suggested is also not a bad idea. I'm sure that freeze drying food for fish has the same effect on the their food as it does for ours, it kind of loses something in the translation. That's probably why some fish don't like it.

I used to feed Tubifex dried worms to my fish and I didn't have any problems. I pressed the small cube against the tank and watched the fish get excited. They'd grab the cube and take off with it!

Back
Top Bottom