Fresh Water 337 Gallon tank, Blank Slate, need help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OP I'd check out this thread for inspiration, particularly regarding stock: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=486449. It went through some adjustments but I especially liked his stock when added the different geophagus. You've already mentioned you're looking for fish 3 inches and bigger and I think that's wise if you'll be stocking any larger fish. Skip the CPDs and really small fish as they'll just end up being expensive food.

There's also another journal on TPT I'm too lazy to search for where a guy had a 265g planted tank solely comprised of a very large school of Congo tetras and it looked magnificent.

Just going to throw out some fish types that would look amazing in large groups in such a (planted) tank:

Denison barbs
Snakeskin barbs
Odessa barbs
Congo tetras
Rainbows (although personally not a fan)
Clown loaches
Discus
Altum Angels
Geophagus (what I would probably do, along with SA cichlids)

Here's a useful beginners guide to discus: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36532&d=1319427051

Sent from my iPad using science

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure metal halide is the only light that will punch that deep.

One bulb per two foot length @ 400w. Each.

(This may be different with the most modern led systems but I'm still of the understanding that halides are the only thing that will work)

I'm fairly sure metal halide is the only light that will punch that deep.

One bulb per two foot length @ 400w. Each.

(This may be different with the most modern led systems but I'm still of the understanding that halides are the only thing that will work)

Build my led

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd say big fish to go along with such a big tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Okay so here is an Update...
dHBAs2ZacmkomhbVA

Umm it was a collaboration of my mother and I though we had our differences and I wanted to go with a completely planted tank I think it came out pretty good https://goo.gl/photos/dHBAs2ZacmkomhbVA

posted a link with a google photo album I will be updating more often. We have huge pieces of drift wood and even though this is a fresh water tank we bought live rock for a salt water tank and soaked it in fresh water then sprayed it with a high pressure power washer to kill off any bacteria and stuff so the tank doesn't get dead salt water organisms in it.

we had inactive white substrate and is some what mixed with some assorted rock from out old tank ( I really wished that we didn't mix them and had all white sand because I think it looks better).

we borrowed 20 black and white tiger barbs, 4 angle fish 5 corry cats and a few glowing the dark fish to do fish in cycling

those tiger barbs are some VERY AGGRESSIVE fish let me tell you we where yelling at them when they pick on our angel fish.... we decided to not keep them and returned them for some balla sharks, and a few other assorted fish

I beleive there is a grand total of 62 fish 2 Chinese frogs, 3 fiddler crabs, several endangered species of plecos, 10 different snails at least.

Update : so after 4 months of having a completely cycled tank. I couldn't help my self and bough 3 discus fish um I think i may have a breeding pair , they haven't layed eggs but the 2 blue discus are always fighting off the albino one. what do you guys think I may want to try and see if i can breed discus in my spare 20 gallon tank.

with the ro unit you could total do discus, a school of 10-20, with like 200 carnal and a big school of like 30 Cory, would be incredible, discus are not that hard to keep, just need the water changes and good water. instead of 200 cardinal you could do like 100-150 cardinals and 100-150 rumynose tetra.

Suprise MY DICUS ARE BREEDING

in a surprise turn of events less then 30 min ago i noticed the pair doing this weird shake almost like they were having a seizure then i saw the female deposited her eggs on some bamboo in the tank and then the male did his pass...

my ph is around 6.8 to 7.6 hardness is less then 100.
I did a fresh water change and added some healthy bacteria additive to help some fish that had been bit to help there wounds heal and i think that triggered them.

I dumbfounded because i am using plain old tap water with a declorinator.
I didn't thank my water was good enough.

the question I have is should I move the parents and the bamboo with there eggs in to the spare 20 gallon tank i have and protect the eggs with a mesh so they aren't eaten by other fish? ands fill the 20 gallon with the same water that is in the 337 gallon tank?

here are some pictures
https://goo.gl/photos/dHBAs2ZacmkomhbVA

first try, I would let it be. Do research on Discus breeding, fry, feeding schedule, etc.

Second try, and if it were my tank and fish, I would fill up the 20 gallon with water from the main tank, part of its filter-media into a sponge filter, heater, air pump, and anything else to mimic the main tank as best as you can. Then, cautiously move the bamboo and the Discus. Finally, be ready to feed them and make them grow.

Again, not my tank, but it is what I would do: leave them until the next breeding or risk altering the batch by moving them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

wow congrats on the spawning, you may want to let the parents raise the babys ti they stop feeding on body mucus, then move them all to the 337, if you don't have other fish that will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom