Fresh Water Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaloric7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a freshwater crab I could add to my aquarium to help with cleanup? I was considering snails, but heard some negatives. Will a crab live happily with my 8 Buenos Aires tetras and a bristlenose pleco?

:thanks:

Definitely not a good idea. My best friend (who also owns a tank) tried that, not once, but TWICE, and lets just say it was not a good experience. The crab literally ate her fish one by one. She found the skeletons of the fish, nothing but the skeletons, laying on the bottom. To name a few fish it ate would be, a Molly, an siamese/chinese(can't remember) algae eater and I think a Platy, to name a few. So all in all, I would not recommend having a crab in with your fish.

I say u are good, I have a fiddler crab also called mini crab and red clawed crabs with an oto, snails, tetras, mollies, angelfish, snails, I think they are a great addition

My mystery snails don't clean crap and poop a ton, so maybe he just means negatives as a clean up crew. I don't think they clean much of anything.

No crab that is fully aquatic will work. Most will eat your fish and the others will get eaten. The only one that might work is a mud crab but tbey are rare and I am not even sure they are aquatic. With bn tetras you are limited becausr they are so stinken mean. You could maybe do some kinds of crayfish like a marbles but they eat plants and may hurt the fish.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention, I have a very very tall decoration in my tank, and some water doesn't reach the top, so my crabs crawl up there to get some fresh air
They are very good clean up crew, eat up your left overs and also, mine haven't killed any fish, but two fish did naturally die, and they did eat them, after they died, I've seen my kuhli loaches and other fish swim very close to it and never attempted to catch them
Also, no fish or invert feeds on poo, it's all a myth
If you have algae problems I would recommend nerite snails, trust me, they will keep your tank at bay

You should also take into consideration when the crabs molt, as it doesn't look good when you see the crabs old shell/skin laying around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom