Fresh water fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djsilentchild

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please don't judge my tank to hard. It's my 1st and I will be adding sand within a few day

Attachments

• image-2992689140.jpg
    image-2992689140.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 221
  • image-1367132217.jpg
    image-1367132217.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 218
  • image-717438921.jpg
    image-717438921.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 179
African chiclids and gold fish... Getting more chiclids Thursday... I will be giving the goldfish away.

There is no alcohol in bottles... All bottles were wash 9-12 times and air dried 2 weeks before washing them 2-4 times and putting them in... Tanks been running 2 months and no dead fish

I don't judge people's tanks, when people post pics an ask what we think I just say what I feel. I don't mean any disrespect at all. You open it up when posting pics and asking.

With that said.

I'm more of a natural looking tank guy. Your going to need more rocks and places for the fish to hide, also those live plants will be toast as soon as they discover them.

I know you said your taking the goldfish out but they shouldn't be there in the first place. Different temperature needs and pH although stability is key I don't think goldfish in the tank is a good idea for even a few days.

Personally I don't like the bottles in the tank, I can see the tops in time rusting and fouling up the water, I've seen beer bottle caps in a cooler for a long period of time rust up. Plus like I mentioned, with your cichlids your better off taking them out and adding rocks so they have there hiding places.

Bottom line, your tank, your fish, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that's all that matters. If you like it then that's the important thing.

Took the bottles everything out the inside... Put in sand waiting for it to settle... Then I will be adding 2 drift wood planted with java moss and 1 drift wood with baby whatever... I also have 2 potted amazon swords...

The gold fish were feeder fish and I wanted something cheap to hold off until I got other chiclids... They will arrive sometime next week... They gold fish will be out of the tank this weekend... I also added 20 ghost shrimp today...

Only been 45 mins... And I've been skimming every 10 mins

Attachments

• image-1225169919.jpg
    image-1225169919.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 142
Remember to keep testing your water, you might hit a mini cycle due to the old gravel being removed.

Ill have to check it Tomorrow... I was thinking about adding 3-4 freshwater clams.... I was reading that they are like a mini filter and help keep the water clean... Also should I add a few snails?

If you're doing african cichlids... Then say bye to all the plants. They will tear them all up. Also, the driftwood lowers the pH and african cichlids prefer a higher pH. If you want to go the natural/planted route, I would ditch the cichlid or goldifsh idea and go with peaceful community fish. There are plenty of peaceful cichlids that would do well in there. The african cichlids would also probably kill snails. I don't know much about the clams but i've heard if they die and you don't know it, it could kill of everything in the tank.

Well I ordered 12 African chiclids for a planted tank... I had one big goldfish (about 5 inches) that got 2 big for my gfs tank... I've got the plants for the shrimp... I know the chiclids may eat them but they are only .34 cents... So buying 15-20 every month doesn't hurt... Also if I'm at work for an extended period of time then they will have something 2 munch on...

Here's an update of the tank

Attachments

• image-4073329595.jpg
    image-4073329595.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 124
Are you sure they are african cichlids then? I just don't want you to have put in all that money creating a beautiful tank with live plants and then have your cichlids tear it all to bits. African cichlids usually prefer lots of rock hiding spots. If you google african cichlid tanks you can probably find many setups and get some ideas if you were interested.

Hopefully the are... I ordered them from azgardens.com... Also I'm still trying to figure out what I want as far as hiding places... I was thinking about building a colony like out of stainless steel... Since I work at a vessel shop that deals with all kinds of metal... But then I like the look of driftwood that's why I order 2 java moss on driftwood... If the start eating my plants then I will turn my 5 gal aquarium into a planted tank with some type of community fish

This is the order I placed for them

Attachments

• image-3301324397.jpg
    image-3301324397.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 109
Sorry wrong page.. This should look better

Attachments

• image-3299612676.jpg
    image-3299612676.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 90
The chiclids I have in the tank now are a bumble bee chiclid, a kenyi{f} chiclid, a yellow lab{f} chiclid, and a demasoni chilid... All from lake malawi... I also have a small common algae eater... The 6 gold fish will be leaving Tom... Will the 4 I have in there now try to bully the 12 that I will be getting?

Djsilentchild said:
The chiclids I have in the tank now are a bumble bee chiclid, a kenyi{f} chiclid, a yellow lab{f} chiclid, and a demasoni chilid... All from lake malawi... I also have a small common algae eater... The 6 gold fish will be leaving Tom... Will the 4 I have in there now try to bully the 12 that I will be getting?

Mixing Rifts with the cichlids u ordered. Not recommended by many... I can't believe the front was labeled for aquariums 20-35g?! They get big!!!!

Gold fish are now out... Waiting on the new chiclids to arrive... Any ideas on decorations?

Attachments

• image-4008224940.jpg
    image-4008224940.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom