Fresh water puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arock911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So recently I was at a pet store and found a fresh water puffer. First they don't do well in fresh water for long they transition to salt water as they grow. They also had him with rainbow sharks which were tearing him up. His tail fin was in bad shape. I decided to try and save him. I've now had him for a month in my quarantine tank and I'm in the process of moving him to a 30 gallon tank. Has anyone had a puffer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is what my leapord puffer looks like

Attachments

• 1433052973623.jpg
    1433052973623.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 143
I have five different species, including this one.
Leopard is just a common name the pet stores use. It's a Green Spotted, and should be in brackish water. Saltwater as adults. What size is yours, and do you plan on making it a brackish-marine tank?

I have him in brackish water now he is still small only an inch or so he was in really bad shape when I got him. Grey sunken belly and all. Now he is healthy. My plan is to transfer him to a 30 gallon once it has been up for two weeks

They always suffer in shops. I saved mine from a small breeder box inside a Cichlid tank.
I'd recommend treating for parasites. They're wild caught and almost always carry them. PraziPro is a good one. Just be sure to soak their food and avoid any medications that say they'll harmful to scale less fish. Don't raise the salinity more than .002 a week and it sounds like he should recover fine.

I already treated for parasites and I'm feeding live snails, blood worms, and ghost shrimp

Puffers new home

Attachments

• 1434345437170.jpg
    1434345437170.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 122
Back
Top Bottom