Fresh water test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cline722

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently bought a 10 gallon tank for my room. I want to get my own test kit so I can see when it's done cycling. Is there a certain test kit I can/should get and where can I get one? When and how many times should I test it and what levels should I look for? I'm New to this and as you can tell I'm really clueless about it I hope someone one can point me in the right direction.

Hi and welcome to AA!

Great that you're doing research first, good for you!

There is a great test kit most of us use here, it's called the API Master Freshwater kit. It's a liquid kit that will test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH. Don't get test strips whatever you do; they are cheaper but not accurate. The API test kit is pretty widely available, most pet stores and fish stores should have it, or you could always order on Amazon.

Are you cycling the tank without fish or do you have fish already?
Take a look at the links in my signature below if you can see them and click on the one that pertains to your situation (new tank with fish or without). If you don't have fish yet I highly advise cycling the tank first fishless with something like pure ammonia (that guide will tell you everything you need to know). If you have any questions along the way we'll be happy to help. Good luck!

I'm cycling the tank with two fish as they told me at animart. Is that a bad thing?

cline722 said:
I'm cycling the tank with two fish as they told me at animart. Is that a bad thing?

Although it's not the preferrable method many people have had success with fish-in cycling. However just to be safe I would just get some pure ammonia and just disgorge cycle.

:welcome: to AA! :)

She I take the fish out before I put the ammonia in?and how much ammonia should use?

You can cycle the tank just fine with fish in it, it's what most people do. Just test the water frequently and do water changes as needed to keep the toxin levels low.

Do NOT dose ammonia in the tank with fish in it.

What types of water changes should I be making if I need to adjust the levels?

I would do 50% changes regularly, I don't see any point in doing less. It doesn't hurt anything to do water changes this large, so might as well.

Your goal is to keep the ammonia/nitrite levels as low as possible, so a good target is to keep them below .25 ppm.

Sorry for asking so many questions like I said I'm new and pretty clueless to this whole thing, but how often should I change the water and can I do that as it's cycling the tank is still les than a week old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom