FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the stones turned out nicely.
Starting dosing glutaraldehyde to combat the BBA that got transferred to this tank. The HC Cuba is continuing to spread out ever so slowly. I do see runners appearing from each patch I planted.
6puzjikh.jpg
This Pogo erectus stem clearly shows the adjustment phase from the old tank, the holding tank, and the new tank.
igXTA6Wh.jpg
The Ammania bonsai tips are pinkish which is a good sign
HqUW4gCh.jpg
Downoi is just hanging out in the back
0d69QAAh.jpg
Finally, the FTS
1413eOOh.jpg

Great pictures and explanations. Can already visualise the 'grown in' stage.

Last night I started building a new stand. The framing is complete. Next steps include cutting/adding the side panels, doors, and top. Using 1/2" plywood. Could not find MDF. Still deciding on the trim and feet. Will be painted black.
Foot print is roughly 36"x18". I will be putting a 20g long on it. Say what? I wanted more cabinet space plus something that will accommodate a 40b (future tank).
JBao1Fyl.jpg

Last night I started building a new stand. The framing is complete. Next steps include cutting/adding the side panels, doors, and top. Using 1/2" plywood. Could not find MDF. Still deciding on the trim and feet. Will be painted black.
Foot print is roughly 36"x18". I will be putting a 20g long on it. Say what? I wanted more cabinet space plus something that will accommodate a 40b (future tank).
JBao1Fyl.jpg

Looks sturdy and very well built.

JBao1Fyl.jpg

Look nice! A 40b is in the future plans . . . interesting. Anyway, more space is always better for supply room.

Update: I am not good at carpentry. I managed to wrap the frame with plywood and discovered how NOT square the angles were. The overall weight is more than anticipated. The plywood's finish is very rough.
I will deconstruct it and start from scratch. I will use MDF to wrap the frame. I can use the plywood in my attic. And pay more attention to angles. I have a tool for that. Just did not use it.

Update: I am not good at carpentry. I managed to wrap the frame with plywood and discovered how NOT square the angles were. The overall weight is more than anticipated. The plywood's finish is very rough.
I will deconstruct it and start from scratch. I will use MDF to wrap the frame. I can use the plywood in my attic. And pay more attention to angles. I have a tool for that. Just did not use it.

Yea you want to square all the edges with a bricklayers square (if u have one). Make sure the verticals are all plumb using a level. If the cabinet had a slight lean (like this / /) then you can pull it back to plumb with a rear brace or a thin piece of ply board and nail it every 100mm.
Pull the cabinet from bottom corner to top corner to straighten.

Also make sure the top is dead flat as any rise will put extra pressure on the glass. If there is any slight bows in the timber just shave them off with a hand plane or an electric plane

(I used to be a carpenter by trade)

Hope this helped you abit. I think you have done an amazing job for someone with no carpentry background :)

Change of plans (again). Even if I squared off the frame, I would still need to wrap/trim it properly.
Started leaning towards TMaier's advice on hiding the filter so I went to IKEA to look for a suitable cabinet/bin. Came home with a refuse bun that looks like a laundry hamper/mini-fridge. It is big enough to hold the filter and possible reactor and can contain slow leaks if necessary. Just need to cutout an access hole in the back.

Here is a 3 week progression of the tank. I see this tank everyday and rely on pics to see the changes over time.
YobVubFh.jpg
Here is a group of closeup shots:
63Pkhmhh.jpg
AR mini finally (re) adjusting to the tank.
I increased the CO2 bps from 1 to 2-3. I think I'm done with the daily glut treatments as most of the BBA has turned grayish-white.

Change of plans (again). Even if I squared off the frame, I would still need to wrap/trim it properly.
Started leaning towards TMaier's advice on hiding the filter so I went to IKEA to look for a suitable cabinet/bin. Came home with a refuse bun that looks like a laundry hamper/mini-fridge. It is big enough to hold the filter and possible reactor and can contain slow leaks if necessary. Just need to cutout an access hole in the back.

What reactor you going to make? Griggs or cerges? I've got mine in the cabinet of the new tank. It's been made for weeks and I haven't even been able to use it :( it's killing me haha

What reactor you going to make? Griggs or cerges? I've got mine in the cabinet of the new tank. It's been made for weeks and I haven't even been able to use it :( it's killing me haha

I could never get those two design types straight, to be honest. Something very similar to what you have posted; water filter with some adaptors for the canister tubing and for introducing CO2.
C'mon...4-6 weeks is not that bad. [emoji19] Money says you'll be flooding it before that!

I could never get those two design types straight, to be honest. Something very similar to what you have posted; water filter with some adaptors for the canister tubing and for introducing CO2.
C'mon...4-6 weeks is not that bad. [emoji19] Money says you'll be flooding it before that!

Yea I'm not 100% sold on dry starting but it's the only way I'd get the carpet and the moss to start. I don't have a spare filter to keep the fish in the 30 while everything beds in and if I let the otto's and angels loose in the new tank they will uproot everything within a few hours lol.

Blyxa is off the plant list now as the Angels have chewed it to the ground lol

U ever watch kind of diy uraujoey on YouTube shows how to make one I think. If I had a bigger tanks would definitely go that route

I ordered this on a whim over the weekend. I'm hoping it's made well and not just a waste of money. ISTA External CO2 Ceramic Reactor Diffuser 16/22mm for Aquarium Plants Spiral ph | eBay

I ordered this on a whim over the weekend. I'm hoping it's made well and not just a waste of money. ISTA External CO2 Ceramic Reactor Diffuser 16/22mm for Aquarium Plants Spiral ph | eBay

I read mixed reviews. Be wary of rough handling with inexpensive plastic.
I wanted to go with a non diffuser route so I am looking at something like this but with 1/2" threading: http://www.ebay.com/p/back-to-school-pentek-3-8in-npt-slim-line-10in-clear-housing/1527430016

U ever watch kind of diy uraujoey on YouTube shows how to make one I think. If I had a bigger tanks would definitely go that route

There are many videos and tutorials on making a reactor. I like the water filter because you can actually see what's going on (clear PVC is expensive).

Man fresh I have a up aqua I think, inline atomizer I was giving away jus pay shipping.lol sorry it is 16/22 hose as well. One of my friend the exact one u order, says it's pretty good.

I read mixed reviews. Be wary of rough handling with inexpensive plastic.
I wanted to go with a non diffuser route so I am looking at something like this but with 1/2" threading: Back to School Pentek 3 8in NPT Slim Line 10in Clear Housing | eBay
Yeah, I'm still using DIY so I don't plan on using the ceramic diffuser part at all. In the photos it looks like it's removable. I like the water filter idea. I might go that route eventually if this thing doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom