FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been a while since I've updated this. Was without CO2 for over week. Dropped the lighting down to one fixture during that time. Did a little scaping: removed more HC Cuba as the carpet is not staying put. I think I will start (re) planting more Staur repens to fill the void. Added another rock to the left side. There is quite a bit of algae on the rocks on the right side. Eh, looks kind of natural.
Here is an early morning pic followed by one from later today:
64BDFXb.jpg
bxlzjIk.jpg

Last edited:
Looks mint as always fresh [emoji108] I actually prefer the colours of the morning lighting! That deep red [emoji50]

Have u ever thought about posting a few tank pics in the show case forum fresh? I recon u would go well in the competition on there [emoji108][emoji106]

If the HC ever becomes too much of an issue, Dwarf Hairgrass would look nice. Your tank looks excelente as awlays!

Thanks all for the encouragement! I'm happy with this tank. To think I came close to breaking it down a month ago.
The algae gives the rocks a weathered, aged look. The snails dig it. The style is neither Iwugami nor Dutch; sort of a mishmash of both. Aside from the Pogostemon erectus, plant growth is slow which is what I prefer. I try to keep tank maintenance to a minimum (yes, I need to trim the carpet once a week). I would not be surprised if the carpet decides to become uprooted. At that point I would simply replant it.
Hairgrass-like plants are something I have not tried yet; I need to do research on what species would fit best in here. Bucephalandras are another plant on the bucket list.
I can count the number of fish purchases I've done in the last five years on one hand. The Embers were a good buy. Active, hardy, great color contrast with the scape.

Nice hc carpet sir!
Look into mini catherinea & mini appleleaf bucephalandra.

It's been a while since I updated this.
I'm thinking about ripping up the HC Cuba carpet:
jIMAwPX.jpg
Looks healthy, however, a good portion of it has become uprooted. I just removed some from the corners. When it pearled, it would lift itself from the substrate. I'm thinking EcoComplete is not a good choice for this plant:
ylF5EJm.jpg
Here's another view. The large mat in the middle might go; I have plenty in the reserve terrariums plus the fringe growth to start a new carpet. Tying down patches to stainless squares worked well initially but in the long run I don't know if it was a lacking of proper trimming or unsuitable substrate that caused the plants to become detached.
ojnrv4G.jpg
I started planting Staurogyne repens around the stones on the left as these may become the next primary ground cover.
Keep your eyes peeled in the Classified section; I might do an RAOK with the carpet.

Tanks always look amazing Fresh!
I had the same issue with a portion I got from you and it kept floating. I took it out. My repens and pogo helferi are filling in the front nicely. But I also have eco-complete in my tank.

It's been a while since I updated this.
I'm thinking about ripping up the HC Cuba carpet:
jIMAwPX.jpg
Looks healthy, however, a good portion of it has become uprooted. I just removed some from the corners. When it pearled, it would lift itself from the substrate. I'm thinking EcoComplete is not a good choice for this plant:
ylF5EJm.jpg
Here's another view. The large mat in the middle might go; I have plenty in the reserve terrariums plus the fringe growth to start a new carpet. Tying down patches to stainless squares worked well initially but in the long run I don't know if it was a lacking of proper trimming or unsuitable substrate that caused the plants to become detached.
ojnrv4G.jpg
I started planting Staurogyne repens around the stones on the left as these may become the next primary ground cover.
Keep your eyes peeled in the Classified section; I might do an RAOK with the carpet.

I agree the plants and carpet looks very healthy. Shame about it uprooting. I suspect the initial planting hasn't helped much as I felt the patches were a bit too 'clumped' if I'm honest but I do also agree eco isn't the best substrate for carpet plants.

Can you not weight the sods down with small pebbles and see if it takes hold once more?

Back
Top Bottom