FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Progress pic.
Y3Ejdcr.jpg
Mass of staur repens and AR/AR mini. Orange lid is about 12" wide, for scale.
FMUm4hk.jpg
Relying on the filter to clear the tank while I do some trimming.

So how do you rip out giant root structures and replant them without a giant sand and poopstorm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Replanting complete. I used less than 1/4 of the staur repens and about 1/2 of the AR/AR mini. Will prolly post in the classifieds.
Still need to do a WC this weekend. Water level dropped almost 1/2" because of the displacement of the plant mass that was removed.
K7H6xRH.jpg
5FsEafJ.jpg

Now I can sit back and let it grow out...

That is a satisfactory answer. But the new scape looks nice! How long did it take to clear up?

Probably an hour or less. I kept the filter (SunSun 302B) running the whole time. Whatever was not picked up by the filter settled into/on the substrate.
Temporary cloudiness is normal when I move things around. There is almost 5 years worth of fish/snail waste, decayed plant roots, and root pellets built up in the substrate.

Looks great fresh, love the AR mini along the back! Should make those rocks "pop" when they grow in [emoji106][emoji108]

Looking good, Fresh! Hey if you want this hygrophila corymbosa angustifolia for a tall narrow leaf plant for the bg, lmk.. I'm considering swapping it out for giant hairgrass or something similar.
20170819_200756.jpg

Nice change, but all new, all over again!!! (plants) You are such a good plant grower!

Seriously, my OCD could not take the plants crowding each other. Gnaws at me. Growing is one thing; presentation is another.
Looks great fresh, love the AR mini along the back! Should make those rocks "pop" when they grow in [emoji106][emoji108]
That's the idea. I wanted a "river of red" flowing around the stones. We will have to wait and see how it turns out.

Looking good, Fresh! Hey if you want this hygrophila corymbosa angustifolia for a tall narrow leaf plant for the bg, lmk.. I'm considering swapping it out for giant hairgrass or something similar.
View attachment 302835

Gorgeous as it is, I will have to pass on that for now. I want the stones to be the prominent feature in this tank. I'm going for an Iwugami* inspired look but with low growing, contrasting colored mid-ground plants to serve as the carpet. Yet another phase in the evolution of this tank.
*Yes, 2013 called and want their scape back.

Don't complain about 2013. I've seen way to many 1960's of late. Multi colored gravel and plastic plants. Shudder...[emoji21]

Don't complain about 2013. I've seen way to many 1960's of late. Multi colored gravel and plastic plants. Shudder...[emoji21]

Maybe what you are seeing is some type of retro-revival. Same reaction here.
As for 2013, I think that is when I first saw BrianNano12g's tanks and was simply awestruck. Iwugami, planted, plus some sick videography. Definitely an inspiration.

Weekly update. Algae has started the settle on the stones. Patiently waiting for the plants to fill in. I added a mess of root pellets the other day. The early morning spectrum from the Finnex 24/7 really brings out the reds.
EJaEVEu.jpg
7N4GA3h.jpg
GSUlM8p.jpg
Rt8rdiM.jpg

OMG 45's, we're so old. lol [emoji23]

Tank is looking good as usual and those snails are working hard to clean the mountain.

Back
Top Bottom