FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the feedback on the video. There may be a buffering factor as the first play was “blotchy” but subsequent viewings had better resolution. TONS of bubbles.
I’ve seen discussions (pros and cons) of the Dr Chihiros. I can deal with the GSA but not the BBA. The theory behind it sounds good. And the price is, well, not pricey at all.

??? I am not the science guy !
I had direct links to Twinstar Dr. chihiros ,but can't find them now..
I run 2 of the units in my apisto / pelicachromis breeding tanks as they love soft water and this unit also reduces TDS slowly [like a water heater element filling with scale?].
The third is in my planted 29 that had horrible BBA.. With the introduction of the Dr and 'random ' metricide injections it is almost completely gone and plants look good. Seeing new leaves on various buce for first time ever !

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread. Lately I’ve been thinking about changing things a bit but not my normal shenanigans. Talking new tank, substrate, and over all look. Blackwater theme has caught my eye:
aMTSX7y.jpg
JGyfpWd.jpg
Simple, low light. Depending on the lighting, MAYBE moss, dwarf sag, Buce, or crypts will be in there. I want to take advantage of the current dollar per gallon sale but keep the same tank size. My current tank, which has been planted for over 5 years, has its share of scratches and annoying algae embedded in the seams. It had a good run and I’ve learned a lot over that time. I will probably start a new thread (not in the Planted forum) for the new tank. I plan on using PFS, spiderwood, leaf litter, and maybe some of the black mountain seiryu stone. The Finnex 24/7 is dimmable so yeah. Stocking? More Tetras and maybe some bottom dwellers. Stay tuned!

Watching and waiting. Sounds like it will be interesting.

I hope so. I cant look at your tank because it will make me want a Planted tank again (you’ve done a good job).
Going to get the tank, DW, and substrate this week and working out some hardscape placement. Hopefully this weekend swap things out. Fish will be in a bucket for several hours. Later i will be unloading plants and washing/storing the EcoComplete.

Do you need your dwarf sag back? I just pulled a bunch. IMG_2589.jpg
It did well in my sand substrate. Very little ferts just root tabs.

Last edited:
Do you need your dwarf sag back? I just pulled a bunch. View attachment 306332
It did well in my sand substrate. Very little ferts just root tabs.

Temptress...no. Thanks for the offer though. I have a few indoors now; the rest are under ice at the moment. I really need to get the new tank setup first. I may hit you up later once I figure where things are going. Then again, it might be a plantless tank (GASP!)

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread. Lately I’ve been thinking about changing things a bit but not my normal shenanigans. Talking new tank, substrate, and over all look. Blackwater theme has caught my eye:
aMTSX7y.jpg
JGyfpWd.jpg
Simple, low light. Depending on the lighting, MAYBE moss, dwarf sag, Buce, or crypts will be in there. I want to take advantage of the current dollar per gallon sale but keep the same tank size. My current tank, which has been planted for over 5 years, has its share of scratches and annoying algae embedded in the seams. It had a good run and I’ve learned a lot over that time. I will probably start a new thread (not in the Planted forum) for the new tank. I plan on using PFS, spiderwood, leaf litter, and maybe some of the black mountain seiryu stone. The Finnex 24/7 is dimmable so yeah. Stocking? More Tetras and maybe some bottom dwellers. Stay tuned!

Sounds neat! Some Dwarf Corydoras would be cool in a setup like this. I’m sad to see this tank go, but this will be an interesting setup to watch and follow! When my tank had a bunch of tannins and the light was partially blocked from them, I noticed that the Java Fern, Anubias, Buce, and Crypts still did well, so you should be in good shape if you choose to go with that route.

You can still achieve beauty in a black water tank. They create a more natural environment for your fish’s. Can only be a good thing.

Thanks for the fauna and Flora suggestions. I might have a few low light plants in there. We’ll see. Always wanted to get rasboras but did not like the idea of putting them in a high light tank that is subject to pH swings and excess CO2. Certain fish developed colors to be seen in the murky waters.
Just picked up a 29g. Same footprint as the 20 long.
Finding pool filter sand in the middle of winter is a challenge. May have to resort to amazon/ebay.
A few days ago at an LFS I found some ideal pieces of spiderwood. Numerous branches, curled in a manner that would look nice over some stones. Did not buy it at the time but I did relocate them to the bottom of the bin to cut down on the chances of someone else snagging them. Like a squirrel burying an acorn. Will try to get back out there today and pick them up.

This might be my last official post on this thread. #3,217 posts spanning 4.5 years. I learned a lot and met a lot of folks in this thread. Onto the next one. One last pic before the plants come out.
nXdLALC.jpg

I wonder how many tanks are full of plants you have passed on!

I lost count but it was at least 25 states, including Hawaii and Alaska. Many of the plants I’ve received have been passed around several members of this group. Great way to connect with others.

[emoji50] the 20’s going!?! Why not have the 20 and 29? The 20 is such a nice size for scaping [emoji16]

Looking forward to your next adventure [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom