FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice pic and vid. Hopefully one day my plants will pearl like that. Keep it coming. As far as your question and my experience I believe stem plant will benefit from substrate ferts. I have had some great growth with Ludwiga after using root tabs. When I forget to add tabs regularly, I can tell on the plant.

What kind of power head do you use?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nice pic and vid. Hopefully one day my plants will pearl like that. Keep it coming. As far as your question and my experience I believe stem plant will benefit from substrate ferts. I have had some great growth with Ludwiga after using root tabs. When I forget to add tabs regularly, I can tell on the plant.

What kind of power head do you use?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 to all:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! What you don't see is the BBA mostly on the substrate and DW and stag horn on the star repens. I don't mind it on the DW (just hit it with glut or h2o2) but I trim off the stag horn laden leaves because that algae is a pita.
About 30 minutes after dual light phase ends the pearling stops. It might be a little higher than usual because of the massive trimming I did a week and a half ago.
I'm getting more root tabs for the crypts in my other tank but thought I could put some in here. Last time I regularly used them in this tank I had crypts and swords. Now it is almost all stem plants.
I don't have a power head in here. I thought about getting one but figured I could use another HOB filter in case the primary one stops working. I use two AC50s: one with the usual media and the other with floss only. I tried directing the CO2 diffuser mist into the filter with the floss only but the bubbles would push the floss up. It now goes into the other filter.
Lots of flow for a tank this size.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lots of flow maybe but is it circulating around the tank properly? This is SO important especially with lots of light.

Have you tried moving your drop checker around the tank to see if you get lime green all over.

The presence of BBA and staghorn would suggest something is not right still

I have the flow directed so that it hits the front pane and either travels sideways or downward. If the latter then it sweeps over the substrate traveling toward the back of the tank. If there are any dead spots, they would be along the back row towards the bottom.
I was thinking about moving the DC as far away from the CO2 to test the circulation. And to move it away from the light to reduce the algae growth.
I agree, something is not right. I went for a few months it seems with no BBA, Staghorn, or GSA. I did a bad job of recording changes I made to the prior macro mix (increase in phosphate). I will need to start testing nitrate and phosphate to see where it's at.

I have the flow directed so that it hits the front pane and either travels sideways or downward. If the latter then it sweeps over the substrate traveling toward the back of the tank. If there are any dead spots, they would be along the back row towards the bottom.
I was thinking about moving the DC as far away from the CO2 to test the circulation. And to move it away from the light to reduce the algae growth.
I agree, something is not right. I went for a few months it seems with no BBA, Staghorn, or GSA. I did a bad job of recording changes I made to the prior macro mix (increase in phosphate). I will need to start testing nitrate and phosphate to see where it's at.

I wouldnt get too hung up on testing Fresh. Nitrate and phosphate is not your issue. Only time they will be an issue is if theres not enough for the plants

Fresh,...your tank looks great man. The plant in the back on the left is awesome,...put me in line for some trimmings....an a side note ..what music track you got goin on with the video..I was diggin' that...

Fresh,...your tank looks great man. The plant in the back on the left is awesome,...put me in line for some trimmings....an a side note ..what music track you got goin on with the video..I was diggin' that...

Thanks. Will send you a pm.
The music is entitled 'Golden Days'. I use an app on my phone called Capture to edit and upload videos to YouTube. The app allows you to select a music track from stock music in the collection (where this track came from) or from your device. It was going either this track or 'Your Latest Trick' by Dire Straits.

Thanks! What you don't see is the BBA mostly on the substrate and DW and stag horn on the star repens. I don't mind it on the DW (just hit it with glut or h2o2) but I trim off the stag horn laden leaves because that algae is a pita.
About 30 minutes after dual light phase ends the pearling stops. It might be a little higher than usual because of the massive trimming I did a week and a half ago.
I'm getting more root tabs for the crypts in my other tank but thought I could put some in here. Last time I regularly used them in this tank I had crypts and swords. Now it is almost all stem plants.
I don't have a power head in here. I thought about getting one but figured I could use another HOB filter in case the primary one stops working. I use two AC50s: one with the usual media and the other with floss only. I tried directing the CO2 diffuser mist into the filter with the floss only but the bubbles would push the floss up. It now goes into the other filter.
Lots of flow for a tank this size.

Lol. I could of swore I saw one in there. My bad. I have some Diy root tabs...pm me if your interested.

Lol. I could of swore I saw one in there. My bad. I have some Diy root tabs...pm me if your interested.

That might have been my algae magnet. It could have passed for a small powerhead. It was nasty and covered with BBA and GSA. I bleached it after it was pointed out :)
Now it is clean!

As for the causes of BBA, I have plenty of flow and I'm guessing plenty of CO2; DC is lime green. I'm dosing glut 0.5-1mL/gallon. Lights are on 7 hours with a 3 hour overlap. What am I missing? The BBA is mostly on the DW and some of the substrate. I have some stag horn on a few of the plants.

That might have been my algae magnet. It could have passed for a small powerhead. It was nasty and covered with BBA and GSA. I bleached it after it was pointed out :)
Now it is clean!

As for the causes of BBA, I have plenty of flow and I'm guessing plenty of CO2; DC is lime green. I'm dosing glut 0.5-1mL/gallon. Lights are on 7 hours with a 3 hour overlap. What am I missing? The BBA is mostly on the DW and some of the substrate. I have some stag horn on a few of the plants.

I know right? I telling myself I'm doing everything right, but I keep getting BBA. After following your advice with overdosing glut the tank looks so much cleaner. I'm thinking about changing out my bulbs soon. I had one go out and replaced it with an extra fresh bulb I had and now the left side looks super bright and the new s.repens are reacting great.....so it might be time to change the rest.

Early morning pic. Turned on the lights, took a pic, turned off the lights. Plants are still "sleeping". Fish were cornfused. Making room for some new plants from BrianNano12 on tomorrow.
QhExCzB.png

The pogo is a gogo. One plant hit the surface a week ago (it's a shallow tank) and within 1-2 weeks 3-4 more stems will be there. I am finding the freshly cut bottoms are producing new growth in about a week.

Oooooo, new plants?! Ug??

Better resolution:
wDmoKWw.png

Might be posting water lettuce for sale/swap in the classified section soon. This stuff is starting to take over.
9yPYpdB.png

Nice!! I was thinking about replacing my vesuvias sword with blyxa.. can't wait to see how it does for you.. the guy at my lfs offered me some.. may have to take him up.

Blyxa has exploded in the small space ive allowed it in my holding tank

Not much going on except some trimming. I moved the DC to to front left corner (furthest away from CO2) and it took a few hours for it to turn green. It's more of an aqua green than lime green. Perhaps I can bump up the CO2 from 3 to 4 bps. Or find a more efficient method of diffusion. A few pogo erectus stems reached the surface so I trimmed and moved them to an open space on the left. It is really growing fast now so a $ale or RAOK might be coming up soon. Moved the water lettuce to the holding tank because if the shade it was creating. Enough rambling, here are the pics:
Here are the newly trimmed pogo stems in the left rear corner. I am starting to see a few runners on the Downoi. AR mini recently replanted and staying algae free at the moment. Rotala is pink and fluffy.
aIv72Xb.png

DW was boiled and scrubbed to remove some persistent BBA. Pogo trio should reach the surface in a week. Star repens recovering nicely from some aggressive trimming.
B4Xq5YG.png

AR keeping pace with the pogo. Bacopa trimmed and tops only replanted. I saved two broadleaf chain swords from the pond and replanted them. Once established, IMO one of the most aggressive spreading plants.
hQZB7Ei.png

FTS:
hHAnO2r.png

Back
Top Bottom