FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bahaha lol, it was a vinyl my boss had made of me. Lol thought it would familiarize my fish with me xD (i did a photoshoot for his shampoo company lol)

& that's good to know that the packs are good:D I plan on getting some rotala next!

Cool. I though it was a magazine ad or brochure. I think I would scare my fish if I did the same. I stick to the garbage bag.

I'm starting to see more varieties available in gel packs which is a good thing. The cost is not bad considering they are not harboring the usual (and potentially bad) stuff that comes from an LFS tank.

Here there are maybe six different kinds of cultures at petco. Not sure if that's many. But since living in hawaii is a pain to have stuff imported. Its a lot more than I could ask for.

Here there are maybe six different kinds of cultures at petco. Not sure if that's many. But since living in hawaii is a pain to have stuff imported. Its a lot more than I could ask for.

At my Petsmart and petco they have Rotala Wallichi, Downoi, Staurogyne Repens, crypts (wendtii, balansae, Parva, and some others), Anubias, Java Ferns, AR Roseafolia, Eleocharis Parvula, swords, Lobelia Cardinalis, Ludwigia arcuata, and some others that escape me.

At my Petsmart and petco they have Rotala Wallichi, Downoi, Staurogyne Repens, crypts (wendtii, balansae, Parva, and some others), Anubias, Java Ferns, AR Roseafolia, Eleocharis Parvula, swords, Lobelia Cardinalis, Ludwigia arcuata, and some others that escape me.

That's sweet! Wish I had more options now;D

Minor update: Replanted the four leaf clover.
Left side:
xd7spps.jpg

Middle:
kyGqwiw.jpg

Right side:

What's the plant in the middle?

Broadleaf chain sword (Echinodorus quadricostatus)

Took a while to get this going but once it took hold, it took over.

For MONTHS I thought this was dwarf sag but aqua_chem questioned it based on morphology and offered up the correct name.

Lovely planted tank, one day my tank will fill out. =)

This tank looks nothing like it did 6-9 months ago. Even slightly different from 3 months ago. When I started this setup, I ordered too many plants (to get the cheaper shipper rate), tank was crowded at first, some things died out, others I moved around or out because they weren't growing and settled on the ones that did fine in this setup. Changed lights along the way and added DIY CO2 which probably made the biggest difference in growth.

A lot of patience along the way as well.

Broadleaf chain sword (Echinodorus quadricostatus) Took a while to get this going but once it took hold, it took over. For MONTHS I thought this was dwarf sag but aqua_chem questioned it based on morphology and offered up the correct name.

Thank you :)

I think if looks really good. However, it would look even better with a splash of red or something to offset the green. Maybe a type of red crypt?

I think if looks really good. However, it would look even better with a splash of red or something to offset the green. Maybe a type of red crypt?

I've been thinking the same thing for some time. I currently have Crypt wendtii red in the front/mid right side and it is sending out runners. Even though it is "red" it looks more maroon or brick red at best. Behind that there is a thicket of dwarf sag that is staying about 4-5" tall so you really cannot see it. I might remove that and sell it or give it away. That should open up a space for new plants. I did a google search on 'red aquarium plants' and three names that came back were:

Alternanthera reineckii
Rotala macranda
Red Ludwigia

I need to do some research on those in terms of compatibility (with my setup) and availability. Any feedback with experiences growing these plants is most welcome. This is for a 20g long, Finnex FugeRay, monthly root tabs (total, phosphate, iron), weekly Seachem Flourish Comp, DIY CO2, no dry ferts.

I've been thinking the same thing for some time. I currently have Crypt wendtii red in the front/mid right side and it is sending out runners. Even though it is "red" it looks more maroon or brick red at best. Behind that there is a thicket of dwarf sag that is staying about 4-5" tall so you really cannot see it. I might remove that and sell it or give it away. That should open up a space for new plants. I did a google search on 'red aquarium plants' and three names that came back were: Alternanthera reineckii Rotala macranda Red Ludwigia I need to do some research on those in terms of compatibility (with my setup) and availability. Any feedback with experiences growing these plants is most welcome. This is for a 20g long, Finnex FugeRay, monthly root tabs (total, phosphate, iron), weekly Seachem Flourish Comp, DIY CO2, no dry ferts.

Rotala Macrandra definitely will give you trouble with that setup. I wouldn't recommend it. The Ludwgia sp. red and AR would look nice.

Since you only use Comprehensive as your ferts personally I would use Limnophila hippuroides. I have it growing in a medium light tank and it adds some nice color. The leaves are more yellowish green towards the top and the top growth is bright pink. Many of the plants that can color up in the reds and pinks need dry ferts along with the good light and CO2 or liquid carbon to really color up nicely. I don't like Alternanthera reineckii but it would also work well in your set up.

With the exception of the "mini" variety, right? ;)

That's right BUT the only reason I actually like it is because the tops of the leaves are a nice mauve-ish color compared to the ugly (IMO) bronzy sick green color of regular AR. Now I've seen a couple pic's of the variegated which looks like it might have nice coloring on the tops of the leaves also. But sometimes pic's can be deceiving!

Back
Top Bottom